unable to install update

In the information given on the page for platform updates, it says to go to Windows Update and check for updates. Windows Update says it can't check for updates because the service is not running. What service? How do I get it running?

KB971644 platform update is what is needed to install a non-Windows program I want. Windows won't install it without the platform update. My question is how can find KB971644 and install it?

Question Info

Last updated July 18, 2019 Views 375 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

...Why is Kodi Jarvis 17.6 telling me that KB971644 is necessary...

Hi caweclark:

In theory, running Kodi v17.x on a Vista SP2 computer shouldn't be a problem.  Kodi's 13-May-2017 blog Kodi V18: Goodbye Windows Vista states that "You can continue to use Kodi v17 as long as you want and it will continue to run without problems" but also warns "The only thing that might happen is that certain add-ons might not get updates anymore and will start to degrade or stop working. The main part of Kodi however will never stop functioning and playing your local video files, music or live tv setup will simply keep working."

You mentioned Jarvis 17.6 in your original post, but when I went to their download page at https://kodi.tv/download I was offered the 32-bit Krypton v17.6 installer (kodi-17.6-Krypton-x86.exe) and not an older Jarvis v16.x installer.  Click the Start button on your Windows desktop, type dxdiag in the search box and launch dxdiag.exe. Confirm that the DirectX Version on the System tab is DirectX 11 (the article Kodi Jarvis vs Kodi Krypton Version – Should You Upgrade? notes that newer Krypton v17.x versions use DirectX 11 rather than DirectX 9) and confirm that the Display tab reports there are no obvious problems with your graphics.  The KB971512 (Windows Graphics, Imaging, and XPS Library) update bundled inside the KB971644 platform update included improved support for DirectX and graphics hardware acceleration so I wouldn't be too surprised to learn your problems have something to do with DirectX or your graphics drivers.

Your Kodi installation error must be a common problem for Vista SP2 users since googling "Kodi KB971644 Vista" returns multiple threads in the Kodi support forum at https://forum.kodi.tv/.  I took a quick look through some of those Kodi threads in their Windows support board and the only workaround I saw was michael_corban's 11-Sep-2017 suggestion in post # 37 of Kodi 17.1 Installation problem with KB971644 Vista x86 to run the installer in Win XP SP2 compatibility mode.  I'm not familiar with any of the Kodi products so if Volume Z doesn't have any further suggestions and your Vista SP2 OS and graphics card drivers are patched with the latest updates your best option might be to register in the Kodi forum and post your question there.

--------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.7.3 * Norton Security v22.14.0.54

HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.