The specified service does not exist as an installed service

Recently I seem to have problem with every thing in my laptop running windows vistas. When I try to open any program such as 1) Device manager 2) Install/uninstall any program 3) Manage Computer 4) delete a printer etc., It only gives error " The specified service does not exist as an installed service ". I am unable to set anything right with my computer. the system tray has "The Audio Service is not running" error. The windows update is on and its updated till current dated. I cannot even install the "Active X" in IE8.
Even when I open MS office program like word or execl it opens a file but it takes 5minutes to get active mean as it opens it gets busy. We can open other programs but not ms office program.

Kindly advice to set this right. Thanks and best regards.

Question Info

Last updated September 14, 2018 Views 180,994 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Dilippatel,

A.      When did it last work fine?
B.      Any recent changes made on your computer?
C.      Who is your computer manufacturer?

You may try the following steps.

Step 1 : Clean boot

A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.  Let us check if any software is causing the issue by following the clean boot procedure.  Follow the instructions in the link below to perform clean boot procedure.

1: Perform a clean boot
2: Enable half of the services
3: Determine whether the problem returns
4: Enable half of the Startup items
5: Determine whether the problem returns
6: Resolve the problem 
7: Reset the computer to start as usual

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

After checking the issue, put the computer back to the Normal mode. Uninstall or update the program which is causing the issue.

Step 2:

1.       Click Start.

2.       Type regedit in the start search box and press enter.

3.        Go to the location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BBBFC1-08002BE10318}

4.       Delete the LowerFilters value in the right panel. (NOTE: Under the key, there
are also some sub keys such as 0000, 0001. Please double click them and delete the
LowerFilters value.)

5.       Restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Try these steps and let us know the result.

Please post you rquestion in the office discussion group for issues regarding Microsoft Office.
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/FlyoutOverview.mspx

Bindu S -- Microsoft Support

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

34 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Hi Dilippatel,

Am sorry the previous steps did not resolve the issue. Let us try other steps.

Step 1: System file checker (sfc scan)

Use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file. To do this, follow these steps:

Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

Type the following command, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Step2:  Check services

Check if any service is stopped or disabled. You will have to check each service one by one. If you find any service stopped or disabled you have to start or enable and check if the issue persists.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Manage-services-in-Windows-Vista-from-Windows-Vista-Inside-Out

Post back the result.

Bindu S -- Microsoft Support

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

50 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.