Stuck in safe mode - can't boot normally. Please help!

Hi,

I'm using a sony vaio laptop with a broken screen (totally cracked), hooked up to an external monitor. Had to restart my laptop in safe mode, so went into msconfig, selected boot in safe mode, and restarted. Problem is, my external monitor gives me a message "cannot display this video mode, change computer display input to 1280x1024@60hz". Problem is, I can't use my laptop screen because it's completely useless, so I can't access display resolution settings. Now my computer insists on booting in safe mode all the time, and I can't stop it (it won't even display setup on the external monitor). Any advice?

Ps - monitor won't be forced by shutting the screen, I've even tried hitting f8, and guessing the number of options down the list "start windows normally" is, but to no avail. I'm worried I won't be able to start windows normally even if i do select the right option because I've chosen to boot in safe mode in msconfig. 

Even if you can't give me a full solution, will someone let me know if I can boot in normal mode from the advanced boot options menu, even if I've selected safe boot in msconfig?

Question Info

Last updated October 24, 2019 Views 7,207 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Tom,

That’s a good idea! Connect an old CRT monitor and check to see if the issue is resolved

You may want to try the steps you mentioned

Let the computer boot in safe mode, bring up start menu > run > type in MSCONFIG and press enter > now hit the up arrow key twice (To select normal startup) and press enter.

Hit right arrow key once and then press enter to restart the computer

Hope this helps

Thanks and Regards:

Ajay K

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.