startrep.exe application error 0x74ef060a

I hibernated my laptop, which runs on Vista Home Premium, and when I wanted to turn it on again, it failed to reload my previous session and the screen just turned black. 

I turned the power off, then turned it on again.  It gave me the Launch Startup Repair/Start Windows Normally screen.  I chose to start windows normally.  It gave me the same black screen.  I tried to give it a couple of minutes, but it just failed to finish startup. 

So I turned it off again, and launched startup repair.  I got StartRep.exe - Application Error. The instruction at 0x74ef060a referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read. Click OK to terminate the program. I tried startup repair again a couple of times and got the same error.

After failing startup repair, Windows gave me a couple of options.  I tried the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool, and it said everything's fine.  I also tried System Restore.  I have 4 restore points-all are windows updates.  The first and fourth restore "successfully" but when it restarts after sysres, I get the black screen.  The second and third give me rstrui.exe application error 0x74cd060a.

I've tried searching both 0x74ef060a and 0x74cd060a online but I didn't get anything.  I wanna know if there's a way to fix this without complete pc restore.  Hope someone could help.  Thanks! :)

Question Info

Last updated March 16, 2019 Views 29,363 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello RunawayStar,

·         Are you trying to launch startup repair from the disc?

I suggest that you launch Startup repair from Windows Vista disc.

1. Insert the installation disc.
2. Restart your computer.

Click the Start button, click the arrow next to the Lock button, and then click Restart.
3. If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.

Note: If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer. You may need to change your computer's BIOS settings. For more information, see BIOS: frequently asked questions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/BIOS-frequently-asked-questions
4. Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
5. Click Repair your computer.
6. Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
7. On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

If this does not work, I suggest that you explore the other repair options from the Windows Recovery Environment.

You can use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows.

Here is an article that will give you more information about this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

If nothing works then I suggest that you run CHKDSK from the command prompt.

It creates and displays a status report for a disk based on the file system:

chkdsk [drive:] [/p] | [/r]

[drive:] Specifies the drive to check.

/p Check even if the drive is not flagged dirty, bad.

/r Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /p).

Try these steps and let us know the results.

Thanks,
Irfan H, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer. Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.