secpol.msc and gpedit.msc seems to be corrupted

Hi , when I am lauching secpol or gpedit from cmd line, i ve got the following messade :

Failed to open the Group Policy Object on this computer. You may not have appropriate rights.
Details : unspecified error.

then the console is poping up afer pressing ok, if I want to display local group policy editor properties; I have another error :

an error has occured in the script on this page
line 1
char 1
error message not found
code 0
url res://C:\Windows\system32\mmcndmgr.dll/views.htm

This features used to work nominally a week ago, but I've got a disk failure in the meantime...Unfortunately, I never enabled the system restore feqture so I dont have any previous restore point with a good secpol conf.

Trying to solve the pb, I have performed :
-un sfc /scannow went ok without errors
-full antivurus + malware scan ok
-installed kb941314 (Microsoft Remote Server Administration Tools)

without success...

the msc files are present and I can open them using ascii editor, but maybe it comes from the registry...?
Does anybody have a hint how to figure this out without being obliged to reinstall windows from scratch ...?

rem : If I got default copy of these files from a clean brand new install and if I copy them onto my system , would it work?

thanks a lot in advance

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 2,068 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Here is how to do it.
The other Poster, Kites, never gave you all the info, about Service Packs giving "newer versions" errors.

Vista SP2 is a more recent version than Vista SP1.

Read the info at the start of the vistax64 Forum link about Service Pack levels, as you will probably have to uninstall one from yourOperating System.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948537

"How to uninstall Windows Vista service packs"

If Installed OS has Service Pack 2 and Disk has Service Pack 1 > Uninstall SP2 from installed Operating System > Do repair install Upgrade > reinstall SP2.

And run the Upgrade from within a running OS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista

Cheers.

Mick Murphy - Microsoft Partner

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

To perform an Inplace upgrade of the current Windows operating system on your computer to the same edition of Windows Vista, follow these steps:

Start the computer and make sure that the current version of Windows has started.

Insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive and then close the drive tray. Wait a moment for the Setup program to start automatically.

If the Setup program does not start automatically, follow these steps:

a.

Click Start and then click Run.

b.

Type Drive :\setup.exe and then click OK .

Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer’s DVD drive.

When the Setup program starts and the Install now screen appears, click Install now .

Note When you receive with the Get important updates for installation message, click Go Online .

Click Upgrade when the Which type of installation do you want? screen appears.

If you cannot click Upgrade and you receive an error message, go to the "Troubleshooting" section if you are comfortable trying to troubleshoot, or go to the "Next Steps" section to determine your next steps in the article

Follow the instructions to install Windows Vista.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.