Recurring Werfault.exe takes up 99% plus of my CPU capacity

Hi everybody,
I ran into a problem today with Werfault.exe. It showed up and quickly took up approx 100% of my CPU capacity, leaving me very little to work with (Vista) at a very low speed. I have high speed internet, 2.3 GHz and 4GB RAM.
I went to Control Panel/Syst &Maint/Problem Reports and Solution/Change settings/ advanced settings and turned off Windows Error Reporting for all on the network (desktop and one laptop) and restarted. What do you know : Werfault.exe showed up again in Taskmanager.
I went to Windows Update, downloaded all there was to download (most not essential), restarted, got my friend Werfault.exe back. Got pretty upset by that time.
Tried all sorts of other things, none effective, but you try in hopes something will work.
Finally, I got into Task Manager again and noticed you can highlight an offending exe  and basically dispose of it using the "End Process" button on the bottom of the page, right hand side. As usual, Werfault was there in two lines and shared all my processor capacity.
For about 10 minutes, my CPU had some breathing room again after my action in Taskmanager. Then, the first Werfault came back, followed by "SearchIndexer.exe . I did see that before - SearchIndexer will after a brief period be replaced by Werfault.exe and we are back to square one.
Obviously, this approach only works a very short period.
It seems not right to turn something off without going for the cause of why the "lovely" Werfault.exe shows up in the first place.
I looked at some sites on the web, but most do not get any further than "turn off Werfault in the controil panel settings", which I had done before I saw that.
So, I am stuck. Windows O.S. is suffocating my computer by sending reports to Windows. Makes you think about how stubborn the script for this kind of assistance to Microsoft was written.
OK guys at Microsoft, if there is anybody who knows how to get rid of the cause as well as the symptom of this Error, it must be you. I hope you can help me as soon as possible.

• Programs you are having problems with
  • Error messages
  • Recent changes you made to your computer
  • What you have already tried to fix the problem

Remember - This is a public forum so never post private information such as email or phone numbers!

Question Info

Last updated August 10, 2018 Views 187,430 Applies to:
Answer

By following Noel's advice, I found the root of the problem rather than bashing away at the symptoms.

Go into the Event Viewer (EVENTVWR.MSC in the search bar). You should start in the Event Viewer (Local).

Top of the page is "Summary of Administrative Events" with a series of Event Types. For me, it shows I had 206 Errors in the last hour, 6000 in the last day... and it got worse after that.

So I expanded the "Error" section, and found the listing that was causing the most errors. For me, it was pretty far down the list, but it had 192 of the 206 errors in the last hour, so I clicked on "Application Error". I double-clicked, and it brought me to a new page.

The new page is a description of what's going wrong, but all you REALLY need to do is look at the first line of the big gray box. It'll tell you: "Faulting application BlahBlahBlah.exe" or something. Once you have a name for the perpetrator, you can either search your own computer for that and see what it's tied to, or search the internet.

For me, my problem was an nProtect netizen service I picked up while using the internet in Korea. I guess it was freaking out now that I'm no longer in Korea. So I uninstalled the nProtect service and BAM, no more WerFault.exe hogging my resources.

Seriously guys. Look for the source. Your computer is slowing down because of the Windows Reporting, but what error is Windows reporting? Solve THAT problem and you've got it made.

63 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.