Question

Q: Receiving Message "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted" during startup This thread is locked from future replies

I was working on my machine normally the day before and I shut it down properly - everything was fine.  I'm mystified as to what happened between shutting down and booting up the next day!

After receiving this message, it asks me for my password for the one account on my machine.  I never established a password. 

I've tried rebooting multiple times and it gives me the same message.

I started to run diagnostics, but it appeared to get hung up on a memory test.

Any ideas on how to get past this message/fix it would be appreciated!

Answer

A:

Your system appears to have been joined to a domain.  After this is done, it requires a reboot to take effect.  So once you rebooted is when it prompted you to logon to the domain. 

There should still be local accounts on your machine that you can use to logon, however they'll have a password for all accounts if your system is joined to a domain (as it's a requirement).  To logon using a local account, pick your machine name from the "Logon To:" drop-down at the logon prompt.  You'll need to know a valid user name and password for this computer.  If you or someone you know has an account in the domain that your system is joined to, they can help you logon to the domain by providing valid domain user name and password.

Once logged on you can disjoin your computer from the domain (Right-click Computer from start menu, properties, Advanced System Settings, Computer Name, Change, select workgroup and type work group name.  Click Ok.)  You'll need permissions to perform this task.

If you can't go any further because you don't have a valid logon, you can re-install Windows.  If you format your drive when you re-install you will loose any data saved to that drive.  So if you need any files from the drive and you go this route, perform a backup first!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 32723 Last updated: February 19, 2018 Applies to: