File: \boot\BCD Status: 0xc000014c Windows Vista

I turned on my computer and the following message appeared: Windows Boot Manager. Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause...File:\boot\BCD. Status: 0xc000014c. Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.
They ask me to insert my Windows installation disk but, I don't have it. It must be stored in my hard drive. What do I do??? Please, I need help!

Question Info

Last updated June 14, 2019 Views 86,894 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello Marialeon,

Thank you for posting.  This error message is stating that something has altered the area of the hard drive (HDD) that contains the information used to boot your computer.  There are several reasons that this could happen but if you didn’t install any new software or any new hardware devices there are two possibilities we need to be concerned about: hardware issue with your HDD or virus/malware.  If your OEM (computer manufacturer) didn’t provide you with a Vista installation disk I would suggest that you contact them and obtain a copy.  It differs from company to company but most will charge you a nominal fee for the disk. 

Since you don’t have a copy of the Vista DVD we are limited on what we can try but there are 2 options available to us that do not require a Vista disk.  The first is booting using the “Last known good configuration”.  To do this follow these steps:

1.     Turn on your machine

2.     Immediately begin tapping the F8 key repeatedly (If you get to the Windows startup screen start over)

3.     When the Startup Options menu comes up select “Last known good configuration”

4.     Let the computer attempt to boot into Windows

If this successfully gets you booted into Vista you should be ok.  Your system will function as it did before.  If this DOES NOT get you booted into Vista normally we can try running the System File Scanner:

1.      Turn on your machine

2.     Immediately begin tapping the F8 key repeatedly (If you get to the Windows startup screen start over)

3.     When the Startup Options menu comes up select “Safe Mode with Command Prompt”

4.     At the command prompt type this command sfc /scannow

5.     Then press enter

This utility will look for damaged or missing system files and attempt to correct the problem.  When it finishes it will tell you the results (example: SFC found and fixed problems).  Restart your system normally.  If you boot successfully into Vista the problem should be solved.  If you cannot get booted into Vista then you will have to have a copy of the Vista DVD to proceed any further.  Let us know if either of these steps solve the problem.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Jack
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us k

20 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.