Question

Q: ecache.sys file is corrupted following Windows Update

Hello,

I woke up this morning to find that my computer had rebooted in the middle of the night and now could not start up properly.  Startup repair had failed and the detailed report showed the root cause to be a corrupted ecache.sys file.  

I then ran System Restore and had two restore point options: the scheduled checkpoint from 8:00 pm last night and one following the Windowx Ipdate Install at 11:00 pm last night.  Neither restore points have worked.

The error returned here is: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (0x8007045D)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answer

A:

Hi Hobbes,

If you are facing the issue after performing a startup repair and system restore, then try performing a checkdisk booting from Windows Vista Installation disc.

a. Insert the installation disc.

b. Restart your computer.

c. Click the Start button, click the arrow next to the Lock button, and then click Restart. If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.

Note: If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer. You may need to change your computer's BIOS settings.

d. Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

e. On the System Recovery Options menu, click Command Prompt

f. At a command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER

chkdsk /f /r X:( drive letter)

g. Press Y when you are prompted to check the disk the next time that the system restarts.

h. Restart the computer and check.

Note: When you run the check disk, there are chances of losing the data so you can take a backupof important data before running checkdisk.

Hope this information is helpful.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 783 Last updated: March 26, 2018 Applies to: