Blue Screen : Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

Original Title:  QUICK AND EASY QUESTION FOR SOMEONE THAT KNOW ABOUT COMPUTERS>> :)

like a lot of people that haves Windows Vista have been experiencing like i see i am getting a blue screen on my acer/windows vista loaded laptop ,,,,telling me that windows vista had to be shut down to prevent damage ....... anyways im not to ggod with computers but i do know that windows 7 is suppost to be a better option evenj though im getting this message on my laptop would i be able to install windows 7???  WOULD IT POP UP AND INSTALL IF I JUST PUT IN THE WINDOWS 7 CD????

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2019 Views 12,744 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Edgaricc,

Stop errors (also sometimes called blue screen or black screen errors) can occur if a serious problem causes Windows Vista to shut down or restart unexpectedly. You might see a message that says, "Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer."

These errors can be caused by both hardware and software issues, and it can be difficult to troubleshoot the problem.

Installing Windows 7 is not a solution to fix blue screen problems on Windows Vista. If the blue screen is caused by software, then you would be able to install Windows 7 successfully and stay away of blue screen problems. What If the blue screen is caused by hardware? The problem would still remain.

Upgrading to Windows 7 is much appreciated. But before we go for it, we need to fix the blue screen problem with Windows Vista. I would suggest you to follow the steps in the link given below which would address your problem.

How to fix BlueScreen (STOP) errors that cause Windows Vista to shut down or restart unexpectedly

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958233  

Additional information:

Installing and re-installing Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit ourMicrosoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.