Q: Blue Screen Stop error: 0x000000F4 while booting Windows Vista This thread is locked from future replies

While attempting to boot a Gateway M-1625 laptop with Vista 32 bit, an error screen appears saying Windows did not shut down properly. When I try to boot normally, I get a blue screen error of F4. Using Startup Repair, the message "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically" appears. Under "View diagnostic and repair details", Root cause found: Startup Repair has tried several times but still cannot determine the cause of the problem".

Original title: Blue Screen Error F4 on Gateway Laptop

Bugcheck f4. Parameters = 0x3, 0x8529c688, 0x8529c7d4, 0x820524b0.

System files integrity check and repair:

Result: Failed. Error code 0x10b.

Running chkdsk /f after going to System Recovery Options did not help. System Restore says "no restore points have been created". Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool shows no memory errors.

If possible, I would like to avoid a reinstall. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Hi Owkmann,

The issue occurs because of an access violation that happens when the Csrss.exe process tries to access a freed console structure. Then the Csrss.exe process stops unexpectedly and the computer crashes.

·         Did you make any changes (software/hardware) to your computer very recently before you encountered this error?

·         Have you tried the option to boot your operating system to last known good configuration?

·         Did you try booting into   Safe mode? If yes, were you successful in booting to Safe mode?

As of now, I would suggest you to try the steps mentioned below.

Method 1: Boot your computer using Last Known Good Configuration

a.    Use F8 while restarting the computer.

b.    Under Windows Advanced boot options menu, select Last Known Good Configuration (Advanced) and hit Enter.

c.    Check if you’re able to boot into Windows successfully. If you’re able to boot to Windows successfully, then ignore Method 2 and jump to method 3.

Method 2: Perform a check disk using the repair (chkdsk /r) from Windows Recovery Console

If you’re not able to boot into any of the windows advanced boot options, then perform a check disk repair option from the  Windows Recovery Options

Steps to perform a check disk from Windows Recovery Options

a.    In the command prompt, change the location to c: and then type chkdsk /r and press Enter.

Note: Answer Y when chkdsk asks you if you want to check the drive next time Vista boots (restarts).

Disclaimer:  /r = The /r switch tells chkdsk to attempt to recover any bad sectors of the hard drive if any are found. A bad sector is a spot on the hard drive that cannot hold saved data anymore.If you’ve any data on that sector, you’ll lose that.

Method 3: Install all the available important updates

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 6,437 Last updated: December 8, 2017 Applies to: