Blue screen, ERROR: 0x0000007e

When I turn on my Acer Aspire 5050 (which runs on Vista), everything loads but when I get to where the login screen should be, I get the BSOD. This is what the BSOD tells me
-------------------------------------------------------
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for and BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007e (0xC0000005, 0x81ED2693, 0x805F0650, 0x805F034C)

Collecting data for crash dump...
Initializing disk for crash dump...
-------------------------------------------------------
Now, I've waited for a few hours (6 hours actually...) cause I thought it was going to "crash dump". In the end, I figured nothing was happening so I restarted it to try the other options. I restarted it, same BSOD came up at the same time. I then 'F8' to check my options. I've tried every possible option and it goes to the same thing.
I've tried

• Safe Mode (all of them; with networking, with Command Prompt but I don't know how to use command prompt)
  • Enable Boot Logging
  • Enable low-resolution video (640x480)
  • Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)
  • Directory Services Restore Mode
  • Disable automatic restart on system failure
  • Disable Driver Signature Enforcement
  • Starting Windows normally
  • Repair Your computer (tried every option but back-up disks because I didn't make one and command prompt because I don't know how to use it)

Before I got the BSOD, I did have malware on my notebook which I scanned, found and attempted to remove with a cleaner. Each day, there would be the same malware in the same locations even though it was said it was removed. That was over a week, at the 7 day mark I just got the BSOD upon turning on my laptop. Ever since, I've just left it and tried the options again... but it didn't work.

I'm wondering if there's any hope for my notebook, will a back-up disc (ordered from the manufacture) solve this issue completely? Will I have to replace the whole thing?

EDIT:
It doesn't say anything after that message at all. What I wrote above is all it tells me :( Also, I'm really noob at computers and detailed explanations would be appreciated (how to get where). If you don't feel like writing out that much, it's fine too. Thanks so much for any tips and advice!

Question Info

Last updated September 19, 2018 Views 114,270 Applies to:
Answer
are you sure you really want to replace everything on your Hard drive? there may be ways to fix windows is there any more information after the STOP line sometimes they give a file name or a long word string separtted by underscores "_" like "SOMETHING_WENT_WRONG".

anyways while you try to work out the problem you might as well boot to command prompt and run the following hopefully it fixes any other problems you might have:

chkdsk /r

sfc /scanonce
or
sfc /scannow

its a difficult problem to pinpoint if its just a single STOP line like that check to see if it has any references to a particular file or whether the message changes after each succussive reboot cause it could be hardware related too.

with Acer notebooks you can actually restore your machine back to factory without going to windows. first boot up the computer and press F2 F9 F10 F11 F12 and Del repeatedly one of them will take you to your BIOS. from there you need to disable the quite boot function or display POST messages. try to stop it from displaying the Acer logo screen when it boots up because that is hiding the keys that you need to press to get to Acer's eRecovery program.

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Hi,

BCCode  7e

Cause

The SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED bug check is a very common bug check. To interpret it, you must identify which exception was generated.

Common exception codes include the follwoing: 

• 0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION indicates a memory access violation occurred.

For a complete list of exception codes, see the Ntstatus.h file that is located in the inc directory of the Microsoft Windows Driver Kit (WDK).

Resolving the Problem

If you are not equipped to debug this problem, you should use some basic troubleshooting techniques.

• Make sure you have enough disk space.
  • If a driver is identified in the bug check message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates.
  • Try changing video adapters.
  • Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates.
  • Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

If you plan to debug this problem, you might find it difficult to obtain a stack trace. Parameter 2 (the exception address) should identify the driver or function that caused this problem.

If you do not know the specific cause of the exception, consider the following issues:

• Hardware incompatibility. Make sure that any new hardware that is installed is listed in the Microsoft Windows Marketplace Tested Products List.
  • Faulty device driver or system service. A faulty device driver or system service might be responsible for this error. Hardware issues, such as BIOS incompatibilities, memory conflicts, and IRQ conflicts can also generate this error.

If a driver is listed by name within the bug check message, disable or remove that driver. Disable or remove any drivers or services that were recently added. If the error occurs during the startup sequence and the system partition is formatted with NTFS file system, you might be able to use Safe Mode to rename or delete the faulty driver. If the driver is used as part of the system startup process in Safe Mode, you must start the computer by using the Recovery Console to access the file.

If the problem is associated with Win32k.sys, the source of the error might be a third-party remote control program. If such software is installed, you can remove the service by starting the computer by using the Recovery Console and then deleting the offending system service file.

Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help identify the device or driver that is causing bug check 0x7E.

You can also disable memory caching of the BIOS might to try to resolve the error. You should also run hardware diagnostics, especially the memory scanner, that the system manufacturer supplies. For more information about these procedures, see the owner's manual for your computer.

The error that generates this message can occur after the first restart during Windows Setup, or after Setup is finished. A possible cause of the error is lack of disk space for installation and system BIOS incompatibilities. For problems during Windows installation that are associated with lack of disk space, reduce the number of files on the target hard disk drive. Check for and delete any temporary files that you do not have to have, Internet cache files, application backup files, and .chk files that contain saved file fragments from disk scans. You can also use another hard disk drive with more free space for the installation. You can resolve BIOS problems by upgrading the system BIOS version.

======================================================

Please see the generic troubleshooter in 1st message below and also use the generic driver update methods to
update major drivers, BIOS, and control software (if any).

This is my generic how to for proper driver updates :

This utility makes it easy to see which versions are loaded :

DriverView - Free - utility displays the list of all device drivers currently loaded on your system. For
each driver in the list, additional useful information is displayed: load address of the driver, description,
version, product name, company that created the driver, and more.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

For Drivers check System Maker as fallbacks and Device Maker's which are the most current.
Control Panel - Device Manager - Display Adapter - write down the make and complete model of your
video adapter - double click - Driver's tab - write down the version info. Now click UPdate Driver (this
may not do anything as MS is far behind certifying drivers) - then Right Click - Uninstall - REBOOT
this will refresh the driver stack.

Repeat that for Network - Network Card (NIC), Wifi, Sound, Mouse and Keyboard if 3rd party with their
own software and drivers and any other major device drivers you have.

Now go to System Maker's site (Dell, HP, Toshiba as examples) (as rollback) and then Device Maker's site
(Realtek, Intel, Nvidia, ATI as examples) and get their latest versions. (Look for BIOS, Chipset and software
updates at System Maker's site while there.)

Download - SAVE - go to where you put them - Right Click - RUN AD ADMIN - REBOOT after each installation.

Always check in Device Manager - Drivers tab to be sure the version you are installing actually shows up. This
is because some drivers rollback before the latest is installed (sound drivers particularly do this) so install a
driver - reboot - check to be sure it is installed and repeat as needed.

Repeat at Device Makers - BTW at Device Makers DO NOT RUN THEIR SCANNER - check manually by model.

Manually look at manufacturer's sites for drivers - and Device Maker's sites.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ht/driverdlmfgr.htm

How to Install a Device Driver in Vista Device Manager
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/193584-device-manager-install-driver.html

If you update drivers manually then it is a good idea to disable Driver Installations in Windows Updates,
this leaves Windows Updates ON however it will not install drivers which will usually be older and cause
issues. If Updates suggests a new driver then HIDE it (Right Click on it) and then go look for new ones
manually if you wish.

How To Disable Automatic Driver Installation In Windows Vista - Drivers
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-disable-automatic-driver-installation-in-windows-vista/
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730606(WS.10).aspx

Hope these help.

Rob - Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT 2010 - current
Windows Insider MVP 2016 - current

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.