Blue screen after watching videos on Youtube, Hulu, other sites

Hi. My system: Gateway Laptop M-6843 Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium with SP1 (just recently installed SP2)

My Problem:
For the past couple of weeks, whenever I watch videos on sites such as Youtube or Hulu, the video I'm watching suddenly gets slow or choppy, the video and audio get out of sync, and my system slows down and crashes. I get the infamous blue screen of death and it goes so fast, I rarely have time to write down any info from it.  My computer will power off and I'll try to restart it, and several times it will just shut off again.  Eventually it starts (after startup repair or system restore, that is), but I am still having the same problem on video sites.  I contacted Microsoft and was told to uninstall updates KB973879, KB973874, KB970653 and KB972036.  I've seen it recommended that you should uninstall KB973879 in several places, but I never received this particular update.  I did uninstall the other 3, however.  I restarted the system, went to Youtube to look at a video...and nothing changed.  I'm wise enough now to close the window once I see the video starting to get choppy and can tell my system is about to slow down or crash, but I would like to solve this issue once and for all. I don't have any problems visiting non-video sites or even listening to online radio, but when I watch videos, my laptop crashes. Oh, and I noticed somewhere in the forum that you should turn off your wireless when you do the uninstalling, which I did not do because at the time, I was unaware of this. Also, I'm in college and my computer is on the Internet through the school's service. Please help!

Question Info

Last updated October 14, 2018 Views 66,434 Applies to:
Answer

Hello Gmarvelous07,

Thank you for Posting on the Microsoft Vista Community Forums.

Try to put the computer in clean boot state to make sure that third party applications are not interfering with the videos and verify if it works.

To perform a clean boot, follow the steps below:
1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
 If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
5. Click OK.
6. When you are prompted, click Restart.

If your issue is resolved after performing Clean Boot and you are able to view the videos fine, then follow the steps mentioned in the following KB article to narrow down the exact source:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Also, see the section on how return your computer to a Normal startup mode by following the steps under “Reset the computer to start as usual”.

You may also try to update the display drivers from device manger and later verify if the issue persists.

To update display card driver:
1. Click on start.
2. In start search box type devmgmt.msc and press enter.
3. In the device manager window, expand display adapter
4. Right click on the display adapter installed.
5. Click on update driver software and select the option to automatically search for the updated driver software.
6. Restart the computer after its updated and verify if you are able to change the resolution.

If the issue persists after updating the drivers, Try to reset Internet explorer settings by following the steps below:
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. Under Reset Internet Explorer Settings, click Reset.

Access the link below to know more about resetting Internet Explorer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

If the issue persists, reply back with the following details:
- Are you able to watch the video on your computer using a CD or a DVD with out any issues?
- Does this happen only when you try to access internet and try to view videos online?
- When was the last time it was woring fine?
- Did you make any changes to the computer recently when this issue occurred?

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Srinivas
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.