Application Not Found Error Messages

Hi,

I recently had a virus on my Windows XP which I removed with Norton Internet Security.  The virus was called "XP Antispyware 2010".  After I removed it with the newly-installed Norton Internet Security 2010 version, I realize I could not access the internet direct by clicking on the icon; a window would open asking for me to choose the program I would like to use to open the IE.  It would then ask to run the program but nothing happens and it goes in circles asking to select program to open, run, etc.

I soon noticed that clicking on other applications would result in an error message saying "Application Not Found".  I can not delete programs from my control panel because it is inaccessable, I can not open Microsoft Office programs directly unless I go to My computer.  I can not do a system recovery, or restore; the same messages will pop up. So basically, I can not make any changes to my laptop or access programs directly.  Please help.

I have called Symantec who tried to help.  Norton Internet Security was removed from my laptop but I am still having the same problems.  I was then told it is not a problem with Norton but with Windows and file sharing/accessability.

Please help.

Thanks,

E.

Question Info

Last updated September 11, 2018 Views 25,021 Applies to:
Answer

XP Forums:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp

Above link is to XP Forums.

There is a list of the various XP Forums at above link to help you.

You will get the assistance that you need there.

These are Vista Forums.

Cheers

Mick Murphy - Microsoft Partner

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.