Vista Can't log in Windows won't start

When I try to get into my computer, I can't get past the log-in screen. It will let me log in but won't go any further than the 'Welcome' screen. I have tried to start Windows in Safe Mode - same result, and I have also tried starting 'Last known good configuration' - again, same result. When I first switched the computer on, the blue screen came up saying that 'There was a problem and the computer has shut down to protect it (or something similar)', it also said to try CHKDSK/F, but I have no idea how to do this. If I could log in to my page I could do a system restore, but I can't get that far. I have recently (2 days ago) installed a canon all-in-one printer but I had no problems until today. I have disconnected the printer, just in case, but the result is the same. Please help, anyone? Many thanks in advance 

Unfortunately, because of the condition of your system, there are very few things we can try (essentially only using a disk since you have no other means of access).  We will do the CHKDSK option that was suggested but from the disk. Do you have a genuiune Vista Installation Disk or just a Recovery Disk from the manufacturer (or neither)?

Bluescrren errors typically mean hardware or driver issues (though it could also be software).  Read the posts and follow the procedures set forth by Spirit MVP in the following thread regarding the Blue Screen of Death.  They should help you resolve your problem.http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistarepair/thread/3deab2fa-4000-4136-8c78-a3d22b1db009.  A lot of that is duplicated below but it also offers some other oprtions and explanatons of bluescreen errors (though you will have the same problem there that you do here with the inability to access the system in any way other than the disk).  What we really need now is the EXACT and ENTIRE text of the bluescreen message - just copy it down and post it in a reply.  It might say IRQL-NOT-EQUAL-TO or something like that.  It will also have a string of numbers like 0x800000f3 (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).  It would help to know this information as it can sometimes help us pin down the source of the problem.  I suggest you try the following, then go back to Spirit's post and see if it adds anything that might help that you can do and that you haven't already tried.

Do you know when this problem began?  Try a System Restore to a point in timeBEFORE the problem began.  Here's the procedure: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/.  Be sure to check the box to show more than 5 days of restore points.  If the first attempt fails, then try an earlier point or two.  NOTE: You will have to re-install any software and updates you installed between now and the restore point, but you can use Windows Update for the updates.  Use the recovery disk if the system prompt doesn’t work. The recovery disk works a bit different from the above procedures but if you follow the prompts from the System Restore menu option with the above information you should be able to restore with no problems.

If the System Restore doesn't work, do a Startup Repair by booting to the genuine Windows Vista Installation Disk (or one you can borrow from ANYONE) or from a Recovery Disk.  Here's the procedure: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial148.html.  To boot to the CD you may need to change the BIOS to make the CD-drive first in the boot sequence.  To do that, wait for the screen that tells you the F key to push to access the boot menu or boot setup.  Push it quickly. Make the changes, save your work, and exit.  Put the CD in the drive and reboot.  When prompted, push any key to boot from the CD.

If you don't have either disk, you can make a bootable Recovery Disk using
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/ along with burning software like:http://www.snapfiles.com/get/active-isoburner.html and, of course, a blank CD (perhaps with another computer if necessary).

If that doesn't work, try to boot into safe mode (repeatedly click the F8 key while booting and go to safe mode with networking – or do so from the command prompt on the disk).  Then let's check some of your system files:

Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / Command prompt and right click on command prompt and click run as Administrator (you can skip this step if using the disk).

If using the disk, cd to C:\Windows\System32. Type sfc /scannow and enter and let it run.  It will scan and try to fix some of your system files.  Hopefully it will complete with no corruption it could not repair (if there is such corruption post back here or try to analyze it to find the problem file(s) using
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228.  Try to post any corrupted files here so we can see if they can be repaired with good copies from the installation disk (unless there are too many).

While in Command Prompt, type chkdsk /f /r and enter and let it run.  It will want to schedule itself to run at the next restart.   Answer yes and then reboot to run the program.  It will scan and try to fix any corruption or bad sectors on your hard drive and mostly remove that as a potential cause.

Hopefully one of these procedures will resolve or at least identify the cause of your problem.  If not, post back with results from what you tried and copies of some of the scans and we'll try something else.  Post back in any case so we'll know how it turned out.

Good luck!

Lorien - MCSE/MCSA/Network+/A+ --- If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Lorien,

Thanks for your help and advice, this is what I have done and I'm still having problems .....

At the start-up screen I pressed F8 and selected Repair Your Computer.  This is what the blue screen said ...

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Follow these steps:

Check for viruses

Remove newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers

Check hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated

Run chkdsk/f to check for hard drive corruption 

Restart 

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0X0000007B (0XFFFFF98000A069E0, 0XFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0X0000000000000000, 0X0000000000000000)

I have done the following steps with these results:

Check for viruses - (done and cleaned)

Remove newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers - (not exactly sure about this one but removed the newlyinstalled printer and its software)

Check hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated - (no idea how to do this step, so advice would bewelcome)

Run chkdsk/f to check for hard drive corruption - (done this and noticed that 'orphaned files' were being put back towherever they belonged?????)

Restart - (done and system started to work fine again ..... however, when trying to download the new Safari 5, QuickTime

and iTunes updates, computer won't download - error message appears (this bit not important yet, computer needs

fixing first!))

I don't have the Windows Vista Installation Disk and I'm working on making a Recovery Disk (as explained above) but I'm having a few difficulties there too.

I'm very grateful for any and all advice and thank everyone in advance.

Sharon

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Chinadoll68,

Take a look at thisdocument for information on how to replacing Microsoft Software.  

Dena
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Dena

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Dena .......... will try this

Sharon

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had a problem with windows vista booting up but it wouldn't allow me to click on my icon so that I could type in my password. Struggled for hours, restarting my pc each type with the hope it would eventually work. Starting in safe mode worked fine so remembered that AVG free antivirus was one of the last software that I installed. So uninstalled it, rebooted and it would log me in no problem. This must have happened when I upgraded my AVG 2012 to 2013.  Bad idea. So now that I logged on successfully I have installed AVG 2011 just to be safe. 

Hope this helps someone

Ricky

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2020 Views 4,654 Applies to: