The Group Policy client service failed the logon Access is denied What does this mean why does it appear how do I now get into my computer thanks brian

The Group Policy client service failed the logon Access is denied What does this mean why does it appear how do I now get into my computer thanks brian

Hi Brian,

1)   Which Edition of Windows are you running on the computer?

2)   Is your computer connected to a domain network?

To understand the issue better, please provide more details of the issue you are experiencing, we will try to help you resolve the problem.

Thanks and Regards:

Ajay K

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

21 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Ajay,

I have the same problem. As in I got the same message and I only have one user account (as the admin itself). I am using this computer at home only and am not sure whether it is connected to a domain network. (not sure what it means).

I am using a 32-bit Windows 7 Professional Ed. This issue arose after I had a TEMP user profile issue. I changed the profile name in HKLM/SOFTWARE/.../ProfileList and all of a sudden I can't log on anymore.

Is there any way that I can navigate to the same 'ProfileList' folder to undo some changes from my Linux machine? (I have 2 OS running on a same machine).

Please let me know ASAP as I really need to log on to Windows ( I dont care if I am using a TEMP profile anymore).

PS: So far, I read some forums which suggest us to use System Restore and I dont really want to do it.

Cheers,

Junaidy

17 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem, windows 7 ultimate 32 bit.  I attempted to install windows live essentials 2011 this morning and during the install it told me it would automatically uninstall the live mesh beta I was using and I would have to setup my live sync folders again.  I continued with the install and it attempted to uninstall the live mesh beta but it failed.  After that I noticed the live mesh beta was still installed but I could not close it from the app tray which indicated it was attempting to start up.  I uninstalled live mesh through the control panel and rebooted the computer because Live essentials 2011 still would not install and the "more info" link to the web resulted in unknown error.

Upon reboot, I noticed many of my icons were default icons and many of my programs would not load.  Upon further notice I found that c:\program files folder was empty and the ntfs junction icon was no longer present (I had used junctions for c:\Users and c:\Program Files due to having only a 32gb SSD system drive).

However, the c:\Users still linked correctly to z:\Users.  I also confirmed that all my program data was intact in z:\Program Files.  At this point I realized that the windows live installers/un-installers had goofed up something major.  I used system restore to restore the machine to the restore point just prior to installing live essentials 2011 for the first attempt.  I rebooted the machine.

Upon login, I had a different desktop and icons.  I was presented with a notice of a temporary profile due to not being able to access the profile files.  This happened for all 3 accounts on the machine.  Additionally, the c:\Program Files directory was completely gone.  I verified z:\Program Files was still intact and recreated the ntfs junction from an administrative command prompt.  I verified the junction worked, however my program shortcuts still did not work.  I rebooted the computer.

Upon login, my program shortcuts worked however it still would not log in to any of my account profiles, only a temporary profile every time.  Every program on my system acted as though it was recently installed and some even asking for reactivation.

I then found a thread on the web suggesting to find my profile in the registry (HKLM/SOFTWARE/.../ProfileList) with the .bak name and to delete the temp one and rename the .bak.  Rather than delete the temp one, I renamed it with .old and then renamed the .bak without the .bak suffix.  I logged off and then logged back on but was still presented with the temporary profile.  I rebooted the PC.

Now I cannot get past the login screen.  All 3 accounts state upon login that the group policy client service failed.  Access is denied.  I have no way to access my computer. (would the profile with the .old naming convention cause this?)

I rebooted with the install disk and from the command prompt have tried renaming the ntuser.dat in my profile, I tried copy the reg files from the c:\windows\system32\config\regback as well as renaming the ntuser.dat within the defaultprofile folder within the config directory but none of my efforts seem to work and I'm afraid I'll have to re-install the OS from scratch.  If I do this, I will install the 64 bit version since I have 8 gigs of ram that I haven't been using due to the 32 bit install.

My concern is being able to access my original user files after the re-install since it is on an ntfs drive it will see the install as a separate machine with different credentials, right?

I am not on a domain if that info helps at all.  I also tried accessing the registry remotely from another machine on my network but it says the service is not started so I can't undo the changes I made to the registry.

I would prefer to fix the problem and re-install windows when i am good and ready, not because I am in a jam.

Sorry this didn't help.

I too am currently having this problem.

I have an SSD as my primary HD (C:\) and an older HD as a secondary (D:\).  I wanted to use the SSD to speed up OS and application processing but use the other drive for my data.  To do this I moved my user directories via the robocopy and mklink commands per http://lifehacker.com/5467758/move-the-users-directory-in-windows-7.

This worked fabulous up until one of my windows updates kept failing and I attempted a System Restore to a point before the windows update started failing.  Apparently System Restore wreaks havoc on your user profiles if you have them linked to a different drive.  At the time I moved the users directories the lifehacker article didn't have the UPDATE that says:

"*DON'T* use system restore yet, it doesn't know what you've done with your user profiles and therefore can't repair the permissions on them."

SUPER!  I have looked all over the interwebs and there are certainly no shortage of people with this issue BUT absolutely no conclusive solution.  AND I don't consider OS reinstall or losing paid apps a part of a solution.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

running 8.1 on husband's computer can't get past sign-in requiring Group Policy access address. NOT THIS COMPUTER

22 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2020 Views 11,575 Applies to: