Black screen __ boot from AHCI cd-rom disk boot failure insert system disk

original title: I have a windows vista64, black screen __  boot from AHCI cd-rom  disk boot failure  insert system disk 

AMD data change   update new data to DMI   nvidia boot agent 249.0542   client mac addr:00 1d 72 a9 82 fe   PXE-E53 no boot file name received   PXE-M0F EXITING NVIDIA bootagent  boot from AHCI cd-rom  disk boot failure  insert system disk

Before I do this, how do i save my files or will i lose everything? I have tried many times to start windows normally so i can save to my portable drive but no luck and just black screen waiting for me to insert disk    i don't have  AHCI cdrom

please help   thank you

Question Info

Last updated September 17, 2018 Views 9,289 Applies to:
Answer

Hi clairehh,

·        Are you able to boot into safe mode?

·        Do you remember making any software/hardware changes or installed any updates after which the issue started?

Try the steps below and if you are not able to boot into safe mode. If you are able to boot into safe mode then let us know.

Step 1:

Try to boot from Windows 7 DVD and try performing a startup repair and check if it helps.

Startup Repair: frequently asked questions

Note: If you are not able to boot from Windows 7 DVD then make sure that you have CD/DVD ROM drive set as first boot priority in BIOS. To change boot sequence from BIOS check the system manufacturer’s manual or else get in touch with the system manufacturer.

Step 2:

If startup repair fails then, try a system restore by booting from Windows 7 DVD.

What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?

Step 3:

If both the above mentioned steps don’t work then, boot into BIOS Setup and ensure that the Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA) ports are enabled, then set them to Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) mode (or Native SATA if there is no AHCI).

Warning:

·        Be careful when changing BIOS settings. The BIOS interface is designed for advanced users, and it's possible to change a setting that could prevent your computer from starting correctly.

·        Updating BIOS should only be done if necessary (to solve a compatibility problem, for example). It can be a complicated process, and if an error occurs, your computer could be rendered inoperable. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions exactly.

For more information:BIOS: frequently asked questions

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thanks and Regards,
Santosh Y – Microsoft Support

Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote As Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark As Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.