Windows Media Player not opening. Receiving wmp.dll error message.

I've looked into every forum I could find for this problem, and I know there's some more people out there that have the exact same problem who have asked, but received no response. Out of nowhere, my WMP 11 stopped working. Whenever I try to start Media Center or Player, I get this message:

C:\Windows\system32\wmp.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

I click OK and this pops up after:

Windows Media Player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled. Do You want to install the Player from the Microsoft web site?

I hit yes and Microsoft.com has nothing to download or reinstall this.

I am uncertain as how to use the Vista disks to repair this problem (per a suggestion in another forum). I tried to Update WMP but it says that I have a newer version than the update...

I've tried the unregmp2 and the scanning through the command prompt, but no resolution.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Answer
Answer

Hi RallySport096,

Welcome to Microsoft Vista Answers Forum!

I would recommend you to try these methods:

Method 1:

i.           Click on start

ii.         Type in Run in search box

iii.       Copy paste %userprofile%\appdata\local\microsoft

iv.        Press enter, and rename Windows Media Player folder

v.          Restart the computer and check if the player works fine

Method 2:

Run the SFC (System File Checker) scan on the computer to fix the system file errors on the computer.
To run SFC scan, follow the steps:
Open an elevated command prompt. To do this,

i.           Click Start ,

ii.         click All Programs ,

iii.       click Accessories , right-click Command Prompt ,

iv.        And then click Run as administrator.

v.          If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow or Continue.

vi.        At the prompt, type sfc /scannow and hit enter.Once the scan is complete, restart the computer for the changes to take effect

Below link for reference: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212

Method 2:

Perform an in-place upgrade to Windows Vista. The steps to perform are:

Warning: Before you perform an in-place upgrade, you should be prepared for a worst case scenario that results in your existing data on your computer being deleted. This data includes personal data, settings, hardware driver information, and software programs. If a worst case scenario occurs, you may have to reinstall all programs. Make sure that you back up personal data to disks or to other external storage devices before you perform an in-place upgrade. To perform an in-place upgrade, follow these steps:

i.             Start the computer.

ii.           Insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive and then close the drive tray. Wait for the Setup program to start automatically.

iii.         If the Setup program does not start automatically, click Start, type Drive:\setup.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

Note In this step, Drive is the drive letter of the computer’s DVD drive.

iv.          When the "Install now" screen appears, click Install now.                                                 Note: When you receive the Get important updates for installation message, do not click Go Online.

v.           Click Upgrade when the which type of installation do you want screen appears.

vi.         Follow the instructions to install Windows Vista.

vii.       If Windows Vista is now running on your computer, you have completed the upgrade to Windows Vista.

After the upgrade has completed, you have to activate your copy of Windows Vista. For more information about how to activate Windows Vista, click the following link to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940315/    ) How to activate Windows Vista.

All the best!

Thanks and Regards:

Samhrutha G S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 6, 2022 Views 7,823 Applies to: