receiving UPnP streams in WMP 11 - Twonky Media Server

Unlike most people, I am trying to use WMP 11 as a DLNA client.

I currently have a NAS running Twonky 4.4.11, and am trying to view media on WMP 11 running on Windows Vista Ultimate x64.

When WMP11 starts up, it only sees the media server about 50% of the time, and when it does see it, it encounter an error about 5 seconds later and shuts down.  Within those 5 seconds I can see album covers and TV show summaries starting to  come in, but of course everything stops dead with the error is encountered.

I know that Twonky is not to blame because I am able to access the same media through my PS3 without any problem.  Also, I have set up Twonky so it knows my client is Windows Media Player (there is no option to set the version).

In the windows application log I am getting the following error:

Faulting application wmplayer.exe, version 11.0.6001.7110, time stamp 0x49360d30, faulting module wmp.dll, version 11.0.6001.7110, time stamp 0x49362665, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000000000043bbac, process id 0x1f3c, application start time 0x01c9b37f38c589f9.

I am guessing this may be a driver issue, but I am not really sure now to research it any further.

Any suggestions?

thx,

-Sheldon

ps. I notice that WMP lists my NAS as "PVConnection ... %server name%", not sure if that is another way of indicating this is a UPnP connection.
Answer
Answer
Hello HeartOfGold,

Thank you for posting.  I have additional information.  Maybe we could try using the 32 bit version of Windows Media Player to try and solve some possible compatibility issues.  You can access the 32 bit Media Player by

clicking Start/Orb and selecting Computer. 
Open Local Disk (C:) then open Programs Files x86.
Once there you will see the Windows Media Player folder. 
wmplayer.exe will be the 32 bit version of media player.
You can right click and pin to start menu for easier access later.

I've found that using the 32 bit version solves a lot of my codec and compatibility issues because most codecs do not really support 64 bit just yet.

Vista 64 bit includes both 64 and 32 bit versions of Media Player and Internet Explorer just for cases like this.

Hope this helps you.
Zack
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 16,737 Applies to: