Question

Q: Media Center will not recognize certain strong digital OTA TV signals.

Hello,
  • Vista Home Premium with all updates
  • AverMedia H826 Volar Max Tuner
  • Asus P22 micro computer with MCE remote
I cannot get Media Center to recognize signals from three of my local digital over the air digital channels.  They are strong signals.  My TV receives them great.  The Aver MediaCenter program recognizes them great.   They show up correctly in the Media Center Program Guide.

The Media Center Digital Signal Strength scan shows only the single red bar for the affected channels and full 5 green bars for everything else.  All of the transmitters are located in the same location and have similar output so I know the problem is not a weak signal.

I want to stay with Media Center due to the ease of use with my Remote Control and the seemingly more accurate Program Guide for DVR programming.

What needs to happen in Media Center to recognize these channels when everything else does without a problem?     

Thanks for anyone's help.

Chad

Answer

A:

Hi Chad,

I found an interesting post that I will share with you. The gist of the article is that some stations are switching their digital broadcasts between stations and Media Center (Microsoft) cannot keep track sometimes:

This problem has been happening across the country.

Stations are applying to the FCC for Construction Permits for their final digital channels. WLUK must have applied to switch back to VHF channel 11 and Microsoft is grabbing that data prematurely and downloading it to your computer instead of leaving it at channel 51 until February. I found a workaround on a site called “The Green Button” and everything works great now. (See below for example of fix)

Posted for everyone's benefit as TV stations are continuously updating their PSIP streams, or channel mappings with additional information, and in many cases, you might suddenly not be able to receive their signal. When you review the signal strength its 0 or red. Here's the full instructions on how to resolve this issue...
Before you begin, you need to configure Vista/XP such that you can see the hidden files you will need to edit, so CLOSE MEDIA CENTER and then:
1. Open My Computer – Click on Start and then My Computer
2. Press the ALT key to have menus show in Vista
3. Click the Tools Menu
4. Select Folder Options
5. Click on the View tab
6. Select “Show Hidden Files and Folders” and uncheck “Hide protected operation system files”
7. Click apply
8. Now click the “apply to folders” button to make the settings hold for all folders.
Find the file you need to edit in the c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\EPG\prefs directory:
1. Open My Computer – Click on Start and then My Computer
2. Double-click on the C drive
3. Double-click on ProgramData directory
4. Double-click on Microsoft directory
5. Double-click on eHome directory
6. Double-click on EPG directory
7. Double-click on prefs directory
Edit the atscchannels.xml file to remove the channel from Media Center: In this example, the TV station is KCRG which currently broadcasts on 52 but has a major channel of 9 and the default 1 minor channel. Do a quick google to find the physical channels for the stations in your area....
1. Right-click the file atscchannels.xml and select Edit from the popup menu
2. Find the line that reads:
3. Delete the line
4. Save the file (File, Save) and Close (click the X in the upper right-hand window)
Start Media Center and add the channel back:
1. Start Media Center
2. Select settings from main menu
3. Select TV
4. Select Guide
5. Select Add Missing Channels (you deleted the channel by editing the xml file above)
6. Select Add DTV Channel
7. Enter the Major number of 9 (substitute your station here) and the minor number of 1 should be automatically entered.
8. Select Next
9. Enter assigned frequency of 52 (substitute your frequency here - google for it)
10. Select Next
11. Select Finish
12. Select Done
13. Select Back on your Remote
14. Select Digital TV Antenna Signal Strength (if you have scheduled recordings, answer YES)
15. Select Next
16. Watch the channel checks as they scroll by and you should now have a signal from KCRG

This process has worked multiple times as one of our stations in the area "tweaks" the channel mappigs quite a bit.

Click here for the link:

http://www.foxcitiestv.com/node/629

Dave D

Dave D
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Dave D

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 7,502 Last updated: March 25, 2018 Applies to: