Question

Q: Convert CD from Live File Format to Mastered Format? This thread is locked from future replies

I placed some photos on a CD but realized I had burned them in live file format instead of mastered format.  Can I change the format of a live file formatted CD to mastered format?  I have Vista and the Windows Help box that pops up is NO help-it tells me to use tabs that don't appear in Vista.  Please help!

Answer

A:

Hello Momto2,

Thank you for posting.  The steps that you are referring to in help only appear when you place blank media(disc) in the drive.  Once you format the disc, the formating can't be changed unless you use a rewritable disc.  So to answer your question, the only way to have the other format type is use another disc and recreate the CD. 

I've included the steps  below and please let me know if this helps you.

Zack

Before you can copy files to a CD or DVD, the disc must first be prepared using a process called formatting. There are several ways to format a CD or DVD disc. Your choice of format determines which computers and other devices will be able to read the disc.

1. Insert a disc into your computer's CD or DVD drive.

2. In the dialog box that appears, click Burn files to disc.

3. In the Burn a disc dialog box, type a name for your new disc.

4. Click Show formatting options, and then click one of the following formatting options:

• Live File System

• Mastered

5. Click Next to prepare the disc.

Now you can copy files to your disc using whichever method you selected.

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

6 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 9,856 Last updated: March 28, 2018 Applies to: