Windows firewall error code 0x6D9

When trying to install software for new printer, HP 6500n, I get the message "must have windows firewall on", then the message that it can't be turned on...says to restart windows firewall service, error code 0x6D9.  I have attempted everything can think of, how do I get this service restarted, even if only long enough to install all printer features?
Answer
Answer

Hi golfer626,

First you may try to disable third party firewalls if you have any in your system and then check if Windows Firewall Service is Started.

1. Click Start and type Services in start search box and then click on Services under Programs lists.

2. If User Account Control asks your permission to continue, click Continue or enter administrator’s password to continue.

3. In Services locate Windows Firewall Service and double-click it.

4. In the properties window, set Startup type to Automatic.

5. Click Start to start the service. If the status is already running, click the Stop button and confirm with Yes to stop the service. Restart the service by clicking the Start button.

6. Click OK to exit from Windows firewall Properties window and close the Services window.

After restarting the service try to turn on the Windows Firewall by following the link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-Windows-Firewall-on-or-off

Hope this information is helpful.

Praseetha K
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 15, 2020 Views 37,734 Applies to: