Windows Defender encountered an error: 0x800705b4. Timeout period expired. Microsoft Security Essentials runs on this system.

I tried to open Windows Defender to run Software Explorer, to review and edit Startup Programs.  Received error 0x800705b4, therefore cannot access Software Explorer.

This system is protected by Microsoft Security Essentials.  How should I proceed in my quest to improve performance?

OS is Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit Service Pack 2, Processor is Intel Core2 Duo CPU - T7500 @ 2.20GHz - 2.20 Ghz - 4.00 GB RAM.  System is Dell Latitude D830.

[Moved from Windows]

Question Info

Last updated August 4, 2019 Views 113,406 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

If you have AVG, McAfee, Norton, Microsoft Security Essentials, etc installed, they will either have a conflict with Windows Defender, or disable it.

Microsoft Security Essentials has its own built-in version of Defender and should automatically disables Vista's version of Windows defender.

If it doesn't:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Turn-Windows-Defender-on-or-off

Turn Windows Defender on or off information at the above Microsoft link.

Hope the above explains common compatibility problems with Windows Defender and other Security Programs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Read the info re this Program:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of auto-starting locations of any startup monitor, shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and shows you the entries in the order Windows processes them. These programs include ones in your startup folder, Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys. You can configureAutoruns to show other locations, including Explorer shell extensions, toolbars, browser helper objects, Winlogon notifications, auto-start services, and much more.Autoruns goes way beyond the MSConfig utility bundled with Windows Me and XP.

Cheers.

Mick Murphy - Microsoft Partner

94 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.