Windows Call Center from Los Angeles called saying computer is infected

Received a call from Windows Service Center in LA Call back # 213-222-3568 saying computer was infected. Indian or other foreign sounding gentleman,insisted that I give him access to the computer. The call began to fade out with lots of high pitched sounds in the background, could hardly hear. I asked for a call back number and the provided it.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 362 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Received a call from Windows Service Center in LA Call back # 213-222-3568 saying computer was infected. Indian or other foreign sounding gentleman,insisted that I give him access to the computer. The call began to fade out with lots of high pitched sounds in the background, could hardly hear. I asked for a call back number and the provided it.

Scam.  Well known scam.  If you gave him any information or access to your computer, let us know.  Otherwise know that legitimate companies do not make cold calls about FIXING a problem on something you own.
.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
My daughter (14) did give them access, what do I do now?  I have updated Firewall and Virus (both they turned off).  All I can figure is they asked for a credit card - she said no - they called back.  I did not give them anything, but am concerned that my information is now "out there" - HELP

Change all your passwords.  Online and offline.

Contact all your financial institutions (bank, credit cards, credit bureaus and the likes) and let them know you may have been scammed, to check with you for transactions, etc.

I would suggest resetting your computer to factory defaults and restoring your data from a backup.

.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.