When I try to change folder permissions, I see error "An error occurred while applying security information to : <\\folder> access is denied".

Original Title: ERROR APPLYING SECURITY
I recently changed my security permissions for a public folder to full control.  However when I try to change the permissions back I receive an error "An error occurred while applying security information to : <\\folder> access is denied".  I then click continue and I receive "Unable to save permission changes on <\\folder> Access is denied".  What did I mess up? and how can I fix it?

Question Info

Last updated July 20, 2019 Views 30,496 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi dubie903,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers Forums.

• What is the version of Windows installed on the computer?

This may happen if the permission to access that folder has been changed or incorrect.
I would suggest that you try taking the ownership of the folder and later try to access it.

To take ownership of a folder

1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
3. Click Edit. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
4. Click the name of the person you want to give ownership to.
5. If you want that person to be the owner of files and subfolders in this folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
6. Click OK.

Troubleshoot "access denied" when opening files or folders
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-access-denied-when-opening-files-or-folders

If the above step does not fix the issue I would suggest that you perform system restore to the point when it was working fine.
To restore the operating system to an earlier point in time, follow these steps

1. Click Start, type system restore in the Start Search box, and then click System Restore in the Programs list
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
2. In the System Restore dialog box, click Choose a different restore point, and then click Next.
3. In the list of restore points, click a restore point that was created before you began to experience the issue, and then click Next.
4. Click Finish.

You may visit the following KB Article link for reference:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212

Halima S    - Microsoft Support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hello Craig Powers,

For this issue, please submit this question to the forum below for Home Server.

Home Server:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/WindowsHomeServer/

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.