Want to change my power on password

Hello.  I would like to change the password that is asked just after I power on my laptop.  I know the current password that opens up my desktop but want to change it.  How do I do this.  Thank you for your upcoming assistance.
Maria

Question Info

Last updated April 23, 2020 Views 15,556 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Communities site.

How to change a BIOS password…

From the sounds of what you’ve described you’re talking about a BIOS password. The BIOS (basic input/output system) is what loads before Windows, and is what is seen when you immediately power on the system.

When you immediately power on your system you should see a “splash” screen for the BIOS. On the screen, typically at the very top or very bottom, there will be some options with keystrokes next to them. You need to find what keystroke is associated with entering the BIOS Setup. From within the BIOS you will have the ability to change this password (or) remove it entirely.

As each BIOS is unique in the available options I am unable to provide you a step-by-step on how to modify this. I’d suggest that you refer to your computer’s user manual to assist you with this process.

Be careful when changing BIOS settings. The BIOS interface is designed for advanced users, and it's possible to change a setting that could prevent your computer from starting correctly.

Jared - Support Engineer - MSFT

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.