Vista Home Premium Security Center Service is Missing

A couple of weeks ago I updated this computer with SP 2 and then after restarting I updated to IE 8 from Windows Update. Ever since updating I have had the security center alert balloon pop up at start up on the task bar saying I have a security alert. When I right click on the balloon and open Security center is says that it is turned off. Trying to turn it on results in "security center service cannot be started". So I go to services.msc and search for security center. It is not listed. So I then went to c:/windows/system32/ and looked for wscui.cpl. That file is there, which I opened and get the same error trying to start the service. So I then went to the registry and looked at [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services] ( I believe that is the correct key for security center)
and found that I do NOT have a "wscsvc" key. So somehow that key has been deleted from this lap top and I am unsure as to how. Here is some more info about the computer;
HP Pavilion dv9000
AVG (paid version) updated/scanned daily
Malware Bytes (free version)
Have tried many online free scans from Norton, Panda, Kaspersky nothing found from any of them
Malware Bytes does not find anything neither does Defender, or Lavasoft (Ad Aware ?#?)

Have tried system restore to a date before the updates, but that did not work.
If you need more info I will be happy to supply you with whatever you need. My question is if there is a way to reinstall the security center without reformatting and reinstalling everything?

On a side note and I will be posting this in the IE 8 section. IE 8 has problems as well. I do not know if they are related and only mention it because it could be somehow. IE 8 will not open links all the time and sometimes (randomly) just locks up and will not respond at all. Only way to get out of it is to go to task manager and end the process. This is my third attempt at writing this post because of that problem. I have found some articles on the web about these issues and will attempt those fixes if you guys don't have another fix.  Here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679
What I have noticed is that if you try to open a link in a new tab it will try, but it tries to open the same page you are on all ready. If you just copy and paste the link in a new tab or window it works fine. Opening in a new window will not do anything. The reason I know it is trying to open the same page is that in the address bar the URL is the exact t same as the page I am trying to open a link from. If I stop the loading I have something like this displayed in the address bar:  res://ieframe.dll/navcancl.htm . If you look at the address bar when opening a link in a new tab it shows the same URL as the page you are on.

Question Info

Last updated July 7, 2019 Views 33,890 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hi,

As the security center service is not present in services, let us look for the entry Windows Management Instrumentation(WMI) and make note that the service status is started.

Go to Start,  type services.msc and hit Enter.

In order to proceed you will need to pause the WMI service so double click the entry and click the “Pause” button.

It will take a few seconds for Windows to pause the service so wait until it completes before proceeding.  Leave the services dialog box open.  Now you need to proceed to your Windows directory and delete a specific folder.  DO NOT delete ANY OTHER folder except the one that is specified.

Go to C:\Windows\System32.

Inside the System32 folder you will find the wbem directory.

In wbem you will find a folder named Repository which contains information that is reported to the Security Center such as which programs are installed, firewall status, etc. After installing and uninstalling different security programs, these entries can become corrupted and report false information to the Security Center.

With your Services dialog box still open, check and make sure that the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service is still paused, if it is, proceed, if not, go back and follow the steps to pause the service.  Once you are sure the service is paused, go ahead and delete the repository folder and make sure ONLY to delete the repository folder, DO NOT delete any other entries.

Now, go back to your services dialog box and remember how the WMI service is paused, well, it’s time to start it up again so double click the Windows Management Instrumentation entry once more and click Resume.

This step forces Windows to redo the inventory of your installed security applications (firewall, antivirus and the like) and rebuild the Security Center index.  It will take a few moments for the service to Resume.  Remember that repository folder you deleted, well, you will now note that it has magically been created again with a new inventory of what’s installed.

Restart your Computer, the Security Center should now be displaying the correct information as to what programs are installed and functioning.

Regards,
Amritha-Microsoft Support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.