Possible Trojan? AVG / hijack this wont run, cant run in safe mode

Hi guys, need some advice please.

I'm running Vista SP2 32bit.

It all happened very fast but I think(?) I encountered a trojan, as I got a very brief warning (from defender?) and then my laptop restarted.

I immediately unplugged the router as a security measure and have not been back on the internet since.

I have found that AVG does not have any active components nor can I reinstall it. Also cleanup, hijack this and mbam will not load.

I downloaded windows malicious software removal from another laptop to a cd-rom and tried to run it but get the message "Extraction failed mrtstub.exe is not a valid Win32 application". The file name is "windows-kb890830-v3.0"

When pressing F8 at startup I can get to the startup options screen but when I select "safe mode" it seems to just load normally i.e. not in safe mode.

Any advice on what to do next and am I right not to go onto the internet or could that potentially solve the problem?

Many thanks in anticipation

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 4,063 Applies to:
Answer
Hi,

Prevx is a super scanner and hopefully as good at removal however as Malkeleah says when you get hit
with a serious infection you want to use enough tools to be sure it is all gone and cleaned up. Please
start at the top of the troubleshooter and run MRT, Malwarebytes, the online scans if you have any doubts,
and do the cleanup with disk clean, SFC, and check disk.

Good work.
Rob - Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT 2010 - current
Windows Insider MVP 2016 - current

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Truthfully, I would just back up your data and do a clean install.

MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.