Parental Control Time Limit question

I want to set a specif amount of time that a standard user can be logged on (as opposed to specific hours during the day).  How can I set a limit to be 3 hours per day, whatever time of day the user may choose?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi MaddiLuco,

Thank you for posting your query on Windows Vista Forums.

You can set the parental controls on a standard user to limit the time to use computer.

However, the standard user cannot set the time as per his/her wish. The time frame can only be set by the administrator for any day.

You may follow the given steps to set the parental control on a standard user.

1.       Make sure you are logged in as the administrator of the computer.

2.       Press the Start and click Control Panel.

3.       Under User Accounts and Family Safety, click set up parental controls for any user.

4.    If prompted, (type your password and) select Continue.

5.    Click the account you want to add parental controls.

6.    Click on Time limits.

7.    Block out the time you don’t want the account to be able to login.

8.    Press Ok.

Hope the information will help. Please post back and let us know.

Thanks & Regards
Ashish Gupta - Microsoft Support

================================
Calm seas never make skillful sailors!!!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the response.  Just to clarify:  I am able to set the control to allow use for only between 12:00 pm and 3:00 pm.  I am not able, however, to set for 3 hours of use per day, at the user's discretion. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi MaddiLuco,

Only administrators can set the parental control and not the standard user. So if you wnat to set the time frame of 3 hours per day usage, you will have to ask the user first as to when they want to use the computer and set it under parental controls.

I don't think it will make any sense to allow the standard user to set the time frame at their discretion as it will be a direct violation of the parental control feature.

Hope the information will help. Please post back and let us know.

Thanks & Regards
Ashish Gupta - Microsoft Support

================================
Calm seas never make skillful sailors!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have to respectfully disagree with you there Ashish.

If I set the Parental Controls so that my child can use the computer from 3pm to 7pm Monday-Friday and from 12pm to 9pm Saturday & Sunday, that doesn't necessarily mean I want them on 38 hours a week.  I want to give them the opportunity to be on the computer for a total of 10 hours a week and let them decide how to allocate those 10 hours during their possible 38 hours.

I think it's unreasonable for me to ask my child every day when they want to use the computer, have me log into the system, go to Parental Controls, and reset them.  I also don't want to tell my child that the ONLY time they can play the computer is from 3pm to 4pm, if they miss that opening, they're out of luck. 

NetNanny and CyberPatrol both offer this functionality and I don't know why Microsoft doesn't.  I've reviewed the RC of Windows 7 and the Parental Controls seem to still lack this feature.

Is this something that will every be availible through Parental Controls?

Thank you,
Josh

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Josh, very well said and thank you for clarifying.  It certainly seems like this is a basic function that Microsoft would have covered. 

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I too am struggling with how to get the best parental settings.

I have a Vista Ultimate PC which the kids use, and totally agree with Josh's comments.

I have been using CyberPatrol for the past year, but it was a paint to setup, and recently the machine would not boot, and only removing CyberPatrol (and McAfee) would eventually allow it to re-start (Oh and re-installing Vista).

I dont really want to go through the reinstallation of CyberPatrol again, but its total time limit was a winner with the parents (we allowed three kids to login as they wish during 'normal' hours, but each has a time limit of 2-3 hours per day on school days.  Our older daughter tends to 'persuade' the others that she has not been on very long and that they should come back later... CyberPatrol's cumulative hours oper day/week meant that it shared the day out amongst the kids.

After the recent problems, I toyed with the idea of not using CyberPatrol or McAffee again, I set up Parental controls, but now McAffee wont install and even though I have turned off Parental controls, McAfee still fails on install citing Parental controls as the reasons.

I can see that the basic Parental Controls would suffice for novice user parents, but for those of us who need more features it wont cut it.

I would dearly love to be able to get rid of third party AV and third party parental controls, each of which seem to offer 70% of what is required, but that 30% is a real downer.

Is this something that is likely to change ?

WP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Josh, that was excellent. My thoughts exactly. I have this very same need. Apple does this on a Mac and does it well, come on Microsoft build it into an update!

I was just at a Windows 7 demo at the University of Michigan today and I have to say it was a great sales pitch. I'm fairly motivated to secure a copy now, and would love to leverage the parental controls for my 7-year old who would sit at the computer all day if you let him. So I need this time limit and I need it to lock him out once he's reached it.  

Actually, I think I would prefer a Mac, but Macs are far more costly. I just want Windows 7 to do this well. It's almost there but lacks this essential feature.

Crystal

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Seriously... how is this not a basic feature?  The existing time limit control is virtually unusable as a practical parental tool.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Because of my similar frustration with the time controls in Windows Vista, I built and sell a time control parental control application. You can try it at http://www.timesupkidz.com. There is a free 30-day trial.

Justin Magaram
TimesUpKidz Founder

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Because of my similar frustration with the time controls in Windows Vista, I built and sell a time control parental control application. You can try it at http://www.timesupkidz.com . There is a free 30-day trial.

Justin Magaram
TimesUpKidz Founder

Heh, great opportunity to plug your product!  But, a fantastic product nonetheless, thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 28, 2020 Views 58,074 Applies to: