norton security suite will not activate

Hello.  I cannot get Norton Security Suite from Comcast to activate.  I have spent hours with Norton support on the phone and online trying to resolve the issue.  When I try to activate, it fails due to an internet connectivity error (8505, 129).  I can connect to and use the internet without issue.  I ran the malware removal tool from Microsoft and nothing was detected.  Norton concluded that this is a problem with my computer and I have not called back to see if they will help me with it.  I also cannot connect with their remote support where they connect to my computer to try to fix it due to the same sort of error.  Does anyone have any experience with this issue and can provide a way to resolve?  Thank you!
Answer
Answer
Thank you for your reply.  I appreciate your opinion, but I would like to use the Norton.  It is free and I have used it before and am using it on our desktop computer and have no issues.  I'm more concerned about the fact there seems to be an issue with my computer that is preventing this from working.

Then, if you want that product to work, restore your computer to factory defaults (after verifying your last backup was completed successfully) and make that one of the first t hings you get installed after patching WIndows, etc.

The issue is with Norton - whether Norton will say that or not.  Windows does not need Norton to work and you have not mentioned other problems with your system...

However, who wants to rebuild their system for a product like that?  Very few people, so... want to further verify your system does not have other issues and try to get that 'tool' installed?  Go through this list in the order given.  Your system will be much cleanerf and ready to install whatever.  If it doesn't fix it - it sure will make it easier to troubleshoot knowing that all this was already done...

Check for malware:

Download, install, run, update and perform full system scans with the following two applications:

Removing everything they find. Rebooting when needed. (You can uninstall one or both when done.)

Then perform an online scan with the eSet Online Scanner.

Free up some hard drive space and get it organized:

1. Click Start, type Compcln.exe and press ENTER
  2. Click Continue when you see the User Account Control elevation dialog.
  3. Press Y when you see the following message:

This operation will make all service packs and other packages permanent on this computer. Upon completion you will not be able to remove any cleaned packages from this system.

Would you like to continue? (Y/N):

Use Disk Cleanup to eliminate more temporary files safely.

You can use an application that scans your system for log files and temporary files and use that to get rid of those:

Ccleaner (Free!)
http://www.ccleaner.com/
( just the disk cleanup - don't play with the registry part for now )

Other ways to free up space..

SequoiaView
http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

JDiskReport
http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/

Those can help you visually discover where all the space is being used. Then you can determine what to do and what to delete/archive.

After that - you will want to check for any physical errors and arrange everything for more efficient access...

CHKDSK (from MAXIMUMPCguides.com)

1. Open the Start Menu and click Computer.
  2. Right-click the drive you want to perform a check disk on and selectProperties.
  3. Click the Tools tab in the drive Properties window.

4. Click Check Now under error checking.
  5. To perform a complete check of your hard drive for errors check off both options in the check disk window that pops up.

6. Click the Start button to start the process.
  7. If you are trying to check a hard drive that has open files you’ll get a message similar to the one shown below.

Click Schedule disk check. Disk check can’t check a hard drive that has open files. Your computer will reboot and check the disk before WindowsVista boots up.

Defragment
How to Defragment your hard drives
* will take time

The less you have running all the time, the better the things you want to run will perform:

Use Autoruns to figure out what all is starting up when your computer does/when you log on. Look up anything you do not know about using Google (and/or ask here.) You can hopefully figure out if there are things starting when you computer does (or you logon) that you do not need and then configure them (via their own built-in mechanisms is the preferred method) so they do not start up - using your resources without reason.

You can download and utilize Process Explorer to see exactly what is taking up your processor/CPU time and memory. This can help you recognize applications you might want to look into alternatives for and/or get rid of all together.

After you have cleaned up some, uninstall Norton using their removal tool and reboot.  Before you freak out and let me know how much you want to run it - that's fine.  I am leading you back to a clean install.  Your machine will be cleared of Norton stuff temporarily and now that you have likely cleaned up stuff Norton missed in its time as your security solution and will have removed everything "norton related" using a Norton Removal Tool (about to link you to) - after a reboot you can try to install it again and activate it.  Perhaps it will work now that your system is running a little smoother.

Norton Removal Tool:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=20071130124653EN&product=home&pvid=f-home&version=1&lg=english&ct=us

Download it (save it) and then right-click on it and "Run as Administrator".  Let it do its thing and reboot when done.

Now - if you still want to (did you find stuff Norton missed while cleaning?) install your Comcast Norton Suite by right-clicking on the saved downloaded installable file and "Run as Administrator".  Once installed, activate.

If that still doesn't work - you may still have driver issues - what is the make & model of your computer?

.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 13:50:28 +0000, Derek_01 wrote:

Thank you for your reply.  I appreciate your opinion, but I would like to use the Norton.  It is free and I have used it before and am using it on our desktop computer and have no issues. 

It's your choice, of course, but I'll echo what Shenan said.
And let me say that "am using it on our desktop computer and have no
issues" is very similar to saying "I drive without wearing a seatbelt
and have had no issues."

Consider yourself lucky.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP

Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP since October 2003

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 1, 2020 Views 8,433 Applies to: