Logmein123.com scam: will they hack my computer?

Hi,

I recently got a call from scammers making me check my event log for errors etc.

They got me to go to logmein123.com and enter the last 6 digits of my product ID, which I did, then received a message saying that the code did not exist and to talk to my service provider. At which point they told me my warranty had expired and tried to sell me a new subscription of protection, at which point I told them I would not be buying anything from them and hung up.

What I'm worried about is if they now have any sort of access to my computer, since I was stupid and entered that information into the logmein123 site.

Should I be worried about it? What can I do fix it?

(I should clarify that I actually have windows 7 starter. Apologies for posting in the vista section.)

Answer
Answer

If at any point you granted them remote access or remote control over your computer you are at risk, if not then you are likely okay.  If you did grant them remote access or remote control, the only way to be sure you are free of anything they could have left behind is to back up documents only, then wipe and restore your computer to factory-new condition or restore your last full backup (not just a document backup but a full image backup) prior to this event.

"MaramaG" wrote in message news:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***...

Hi,

I recently got a call from scammers making me check my event log for errors etc.

They got me to go to logmein123.com and enter the last 6 digits of my product ID, which I did, then received a message saying that the code did not exist and to talk to my service provider. At which point they told me my warranty had expired and tried to sell me a new subscription of protection, at which point I told them I would not be buying anything from them and hung up.

What I'm worried about is if they now have any sort of access to my computer, since I was stupid and entered that information into the logmein123 site.

Should I be worried about it? What can I do fix it?

(I should clarify that I actually have windows 7 starter. Apologies for posting in the vista section.)

17 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2020 Views 3,498 Applies to: