Question

Infected with (green shield) Security Essentials 2010 and a trojan virus

diane1339 asked on
My computer is infected with Security Essentials 2010.  It started with Worm.Win32.Netsky.  I have tried the fix recommended by Mick Murphy and am having the following problems.  Working in safe mode with networking I can't access the malwarebytes or the spybot site.  Message says "Internet Explorer cannot display this page".  I tried some other malware remover sites and was able to access Spyware Doctor (pctools.com) recommended in a book so I know it's legit.  I downloaded the program, did the requested reboot and attempted to do a scan. the message says "Network diagnostics cannot run while window is in safe mode".  So I tried to boot up in normal mode and now my desktop will not load.  Is there anything more I can do?  Thanks for your help. 
2 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
A. User replied on

Did you follow ALL the instructions re STOPPING the ROGUE process before scanning with Malwarebytes?

If you rebooted your System, you did not follow the information given.

Read the info at the link below:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-security-essentials-2010

1. Print out these instructions as we may need to close every window that is open later in the fix.
  2. It is possible that the infection you are trying to remove will not allow you to download files on the infected computer. If you find this is the case when following these instructions, then you will need to download the requested files in this guide to another computer and then transfer them to the infected computer. You can transfer the files via a CD/DVD, external drive, or USB flash drive.
  3. Before we do anything, we must end the processes that belong to Security Essentials 2010 so that it does not interfere with the cleaning procedure. To do this, download the following file to your desktop.
    rkill.com Download Link
  4. Once it is downloaded, double-click on the rkill.com in order to automatically attempt to stop any processes associated with Security Essentials 2010 and other Rogue programs. Please be patient while the program looks for various malware programs and ends them. When it has finished, the black window will automatically close and you can continue with the next step. If you get a message that rkill is an infection, do not be concerned. This message is just a fake warning given by Security Essentials 2010 when it terminates programs that may potentially remove it. If you run into these infections warnings that close Rkill, a trick is to leave the warning on the screen and then run Rkill again. By not closing the warning, this typically will allow you to bypass the malware trying to protect itself so that rkill can terminate Security Essentials 2010 . So, please try running Rkill until malware is no longer running. You will then be able to proceed with the rest of the guide. If you continue having problems running rkill.com, you can download iExplore.exe or eXplorer.exe, which are renamed copies of rkill.com, and try them instead.

Do not reboot your computer after running rkill as the malware programs will start again.
  5. Now you should download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, or MBAM, from the following location and save it to your desktop:
  6. Follow the above step at the link provided!

Mick Murphy - Microsoft Partner
Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

progress