Consent.exe doesn't render, processes hang waiting for a response I can't give

I cannot install, uninstall, or run software on my laptop. After checking processes, I find multiple instances of consent.exe are running; one for each process I have attempted to start. I have run multiple virus scans that have returned clean. I have cleaned and defragged my registry. The only copy of consent.exe on my computer is located in windows32/system and has all the credentials of real microsoft software. Ideas?

Question Info

Last updated November 3, 2019 Views 77,862 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello Kieran Devanney,

Ø  What is the anti-virus software you have installed on your computer?

The consent.exe is a part of Windows operating system. It is part of the User Account Control feature which allows or disallows access to administrative functions based on your preference.

However, an incorrect version of this would be on your computer that could be installed as a Malware on your computer.

I suggest that you run a Malware scan on your computer:

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-my/default.htm?mkt=en-my

You can read the below post that will give you more information on ‘How to get rid of malware’

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistasecurity/thread/ba80504b-61f1-4d71-960f-b561798b7b42

Try check if the process is working properly when you boot your computer to ‘Safe Mode with Networking’:

How to boot your system into Safe Mode…

1.     Restart your computer if it is powered on.
2.     Tap the F8 key after your computer initially powers on.
3.     Once you see the Advanced Boot Options menu you can stop tapping.
4.     Use the up/down arrow keys to highlight your selection.
5.     Select Safe Mode with Networking and press Enter.
6.     You should see drivers loading, and then Please wait.
7.     You should then be at the Welcome Screen.
8.     Logon to your computer using an account with Administrator privileges.

To create a new user profile and check, follow these steps:

Note: To create a new profile, you must first create a new user account. When the account is created, a profile will also be created.
 1. Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety and then clicking User Accounts.
 2. Click Manage another account.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
 3. Click Create a new account.
 4. Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type, and then click Create Account.
Note: Do not give the existing user name for the new user account.
Check out this article that will give you information on ‘How to Fix a corrupted user profile’:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Thanks,
Irfan H, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer. Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.