Question

Q: cant start windows firewall. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Original title: cant start windows firewall

While browsing on firefox, I randomly got a nasty trojan worm that AVG got rid of, though it needed a full reboot to get rid of it and the results showed getting rid of 10 files and 4 registry entries. Its competely gone now, but there is a residual problem that I cannot start the windows firewall. In order here is the list of errors:

Through windows security center: Security center cant turn on windows firewall.
Click on the option to turn it on manually:  Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall service?
Click yes: Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall service.

So then I go through task manager -> services -> services

Brings up the services window, I tell that to start the Windows Firewall service:

error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

From other answers I have seen, this looks like the virus corrupted my copy of secdrv.sys, but I cannot find anywhere to download a correct copy of this file, and I do not have an install disc because my windows came preinstalled on my laptop. I need to know where to get this file, or if this is not actually the answer, then what is actually wrong and how to fix it.

Answer

A:

Hi Flamewolf393,

·         Have you made any changes on the computer prior to the issue?

Let’s try the following mentioned methods to resolve the issue:

Method 1: Enable the disabled services and start the services.

To enable the disabled services and start the services:

a.       Click Start, type services.msc in the Start Search box.

b.      Select Services in the Programs list. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.

c.       Right-click Telephony and then click Properties.

d.      On the General tab, click Manual next to Startup type.

e.      On the General tab, click Start under Service status, and then click OK.

f.        Repeat steps 3 - 5 for the Remote Access Connection Manager service and for the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager service.

Method 2: Remove the unwanted EAP (Extensible Authentication Protocol) entries from registry.

REGISTRY DISCLAIMERS:

Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

a.       Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box.

b.      Select regedit in the Programs list. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.

c.       Browse to the location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP

d.      Identify the subkey used by your modem.

e.      Delete the other subkeys other than the default (13, 25 and 26 are default).

Method 3: If the above methods does not help then I would suggest that you perform system restore to the point when the service was working fine.

System Restore: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/System-Restore-frequently-asked-questions

Hope this helps!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 33,935 Last updated: July 19, 2018 Applies to: