Can't download anything on Vista

I don't know what caused this problem, but I can't download anything on Vista 32 bit.   Every download says it contains a virus & was deleted, even on known safe downloads. Can't do system restore as there are no restore points started.  Do I need to do a full recovery?  Having much trouble finding out an answer to this problem and currently have no security program running, even windows security (defender etc) not working. Please HELP!!

Question Info

Last updated March 16, 2019 Views 3,313 Applies to:

Hi

Scan for Malware in Safe Mode with Networking.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/#vista

Windows Vista

Using the F8 Method:

1. Restart your computer.
  2. When the computer starts you will see your computer's hardware being listed. When you see this information start to gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with the Windows Vista Advanced Boot Options.
  3. Select the Safe Mode with Networking option using the arrow keys.
  4. Then press the enter key on your keyboard to boot into Vista Safe Mode.
  5. When Windows starts you will be at a typical logon screen. Logon to your computer and Vista will enter Safe mode.
  6. Do whatever tasks you require, and when you are done, reboot to go back into normal mode.

Once in Safe Mode with Networking, download and run RKill.

RKill does NOT remove Malware; it stops the Malware Process giving you a chance to remove it with your Security Programs.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

Then, download, install, update and scan your System with the free version of Malwarebytes AntiMalware in Safe Mode with Networking:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

If you are using Norton, AVG, Avira, Microsoft Security Essentials, McAfee, etc the default action is for Windows Defender to be disabled, as those AntiVirus Programs have their own Antispyware Applications.

It is nothing to be worried about.

Using the two Programs at the same time can cause System conflicts, etc.

Cheers.

Bill Smithers - Microsoft MVP July 2013 - June 2019

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Coun't download anything even in safe mode with networking.  Still reads "whatever trying to download.exe contained a virus and was deleted"  There is a red sheild with an X in it.

Also, I currently have NO antivirus on my computer at all and this concerns me.  On the advice of a tech from "telus" I deleted the program I had and now cannot reinstall any (telus security, avg, etc)  Is there any way to correct this without a full recovery or something drastic?  Thanks.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.