Cannot login after PC is locked

I am running Vista Business. When I leave for the day, I lock my computer using Win+L. I need to remain logged in to run a sync utility, but I need the security of a locked machine.

When I return in the morning, I cannot log in. I type in a password and click the button (or press Enter) and nothing happens. Nothing at all. Also, the red icon in the lower right corner that is usually there disappears while I'm gone. Every time this happens, I'm forced to power down the PC manually and reboot.

In power management, I have set it to NOT turn off hard disks or go to sleep. I have also configured a password required on wakeup if that matters...but it is still happening.

Any thoughts why?

Question Info

Last updated July 20, 2018 Views 4,537 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
I would look for clues to what is happening in the Resource Monitor (click start, type: perfmon /rel ) Click a red x to see the errror
Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
Rating posts helps other users
Mark L. Ferguson (former MVP)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Do any characters appear in the password input box, or is the keyboard dead? You should be seeing a second request for password, if the keyboard is powered up. You may have some device, like the USB port, or whatever with a setting to allow the device to power down. The properties of those devices usually have a Power Management tab for those settings, in Device Manager.
Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
Rating posts helps other users
Mark L. Ferguson (former MVP)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.