Bogus administrator warnings

When signed in under an administrator account, I deleted a different user account on the Vista Home Premium computer, and did several other actions requiring administrator privileges.  A warning came up each time telling me that I had to be signed in as administrator.  I continued (ignoring the warning/error) and the actions were successful.  Why the bogus error/warning?  Any way to get rid of it?  It will confuse my parents when they use the computer.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 1,525 Applies to:
Answer

Hello,

Just as Ronnie Vernon stated, you may be seeing the Standard User Account Control popup.

With User Account Control enabled, (by default) when you perform an action that requires adminstrator privilege, Vista will pop up a dialog box with the message,

Windows needs your permission to continue. If you started this action, continue.
Once you click on the continue button, you are allowed to complete whatever task you were doing.

You receive a UAC prompt when you do any of the following:

Install or uninstall a program.
Install a driver for a device. (For example, you install the driver for a digital camera.)
Use the Windows Update console to install updates.
Configure Parental Controls.
Install an ActiveX control. (ActiveX controls are used to view certain Web pages.)
Open or change the Windows Firewall control settings.
Change a user account type.
Modify your security settings with the Security Policy Editor (Secpol.msc) snap-in.
Browse another user's directory.
Configure Automatic Updates.
Restore system files that were backed up.
Schedule Automated Tasks.
Copy or move files into the Program Files directory or the Windows directory.
Add or remove a user account.
Configure Remote Desktop access

Please review the following article for more information about User Account Control.
KB922708 - How to use User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922708

If this is not the popup that you are seeing, please post with the correct popup.

Sincerely,

Marilyn
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Marilyn

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
family IT sup said:

When signed in under an administrator account, I deleted a different user account on the Vista Home Premium computer, and did several other actions requiring administrator privileges.  A warning came up each time telling me that I had to be signed in as administrator.  I continued (ignoring the warning/error) and the actions were successful.  Why the bogus error/warning?  Any way to get rid of it?  It will confuse my parents when they use the computer.

Hi

Could you describe that popup warning that you are seeing, or maybe post a screenshot somewhere?

Is this the standard User Account Control popup?

Thanks,

Ronnie Vernon MVP
MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.