avg virus (malware) protection won't turn on

my os is windows vista basic, windows defender is on windows firewall is on , i get windows security alert telling me my avg anti virus (malware protection) is off. however it won't switch on , ive recently installed avg 8.5 (free), i never had any problems with the previous avg 7.., could it be anything to do with w defender or w firewall ?, any help please. 

Question Info

Last updated November 16, 2018 Views 53,922 Applies to:
Answer
Hi
I was having the same trouble. You need to download this to fix the problem http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/support/delrepwv_en.exe This should resolve the problem ok?
Cheers
Stesal1

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

I was having the same problem too. Uninstalling the AVG Toolbar from web browsers turned out to be the fix. IE was easy - with the browser open you simply go to Tools - Internet Options - Advanced Tab - Reset Internet explorer settings. Firefox proved bit more difficult. With the broswer closed I had to run a command prompt from the start menu. Type in firefox -safe-mode, click ok. Then just tick the disable all add-ons box, then make changes and restart. I then simply re-booted the computer and the probem was gone - didnt even have to go have to switch AVG Malware on using the security centre.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.