Question

Q: avg virus (malware) protection won't turn on

my os is windows vista basic, windows defender is on windows firewall is on , i get windows security alert telling me my avg anti virus (malware protection) is off. however it won't switch on , ive recently installed avg 8.5 (free), i never had any problems with the previous avg 7.., could it be anything to do with w defender or w firewall ?, any help please. 

Answer

A:

Hi
I was having the same trouble. You need to download this to fix the problem http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/support/delrepwv_en.exe This should resolve the problem ok?
Cheers
Stesal1

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer

A:

I was having the same problem too. Uninstalling the AVG Toolbar from web browsers turned out to be the fix. IE was easy - with the browser open you simply go to Tools - Internet Options - Advanced Tab - Reset Internet explorer settings. Firefox proved bit more difficult. With the broswer closed I had to run a command prompt from the start menu. Type in firefox -safe-mode, click ok. Then just tick the disable all add-ons box, then make changes and restart. I then simply re-booted the computer and the probem was gone - didnt even have to go have to switch AVG Malware on using the security centre.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 53,466 Last updated: June 17, 2018 Applies to: