WMP 11 displays error message C00D1197 when I try playing MP3's from external USB HD

My music I ripped from all my CDs is on an external drive and played fine, now when I try to play the music I get an error message and the files won't play. If I click on the same file from Windows Explorer it plays.

I have an Acer Aspire 5630 laptop running Vista Home Premium and using a Buffalo Ministation 320GB TurboUSB Portable Hard Drive.
WMP 11.0.6002.18111

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 1,205 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Taux,

Are you having issues playing the file from the library through Windows media player?

First you may refer the following link and check if it helps:

Windows Media Player error C00D1197

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/C00D1199

Step 1: It might be that theWindows media player library is corrupted. I would suggest you to rebuild Windows media player library.

If you want to rebuild you library, follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Shutdown windows media player.

2. Stop the media sharing service. Go to Start->Control Panel->All Control Panel Items->Administrative Tools->Services. Right-click on the “Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service” and select Stop.

3. Navigate to “c:\Users\”your username”\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player. Now delete the files named CurrentDatabase_***.wmdb and LocalMLS_*.wmdb.

4. Start the media sharing service.

5. Now restart Windows Media Player.

Windows Media Player library: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Windows-Media-Player-library-frequently-asked-questions

Step 2: You may use your favorite search engine to download a third party codec and check if you can play the file in media player.

Note:  Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful.

Praseetha K
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forumand let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.