Windows Movie Maker Won't Publish Movie

Hi,

I've spent hours creating a first year video in Windows Movie Maker for my son's birthday tomorrow. I can't publish it to the computer or to a DVD. I'm on a 32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 system. I've imported AVI and MPG video from a FLIP camera and a Sony Digital Video camera. I've also incorporated JPG photos and audio (from iTunes and Amazon MP3). The total play time (in storyboard) is just over 15 minutes. I am using transitions. I have plenty of hard drive space, almost 30GB free. I have successfully used my DVD burner in the past...and have even successfully created a Windows Movie Maker Movie and burned it to a DVD in the past...but that "movie" contained only one video and then just a bunch of pictures.

First I tried publishing my new project to the computer but it never finished. I left it over night and it was still stuck at 20% (or so) in the morning. Next I tried publishing to DVD which opens Windows DVD maker. Again it never finishes...it gets stuck anywhere from 1.2% to 68.4% with each try...though it has slowly increased in percentage with each try. 

I tried unchecking all of the filters under Tools->Options and actually got a DVD to burn but all of the .AVI videos were black. Which filters do I need to leave on for .AVI files to continue to work? I also replaced all music files from iTunes with WMA format music and am trying another burn. Now it's stuck again at 67.5% and I'm guessing it won't ever finish.

What do I do to get this thing published? I'm so bummed and frustrated...I have hours invested in this thing.

Thanks,
Evan's Mom
Answer
Answer
Hi,

I've spent hours creating a first year video in Windows Movie Maker for my son's birthday tomorrow. I can't publish it to the computer or to a DVD. I'm on a 32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 system. I've imported AVI and MPG video from a FLIP camera and a Sony Digital Video camera. I've also incorporated JPG photos and audio (from iTunes and Amazon MP3). The total play time (in storyboard) is just over 15 minutes. I am using transitions. I have plenty of hard drive space, almost 30GB free. I have successfully used my DVD burner in the past...and have even successfully created a Windows Movie Maker Movie and burned it to a DVD in the past...but that "movie" contained only one video and then just a bunch of pictures.

First I tried publishing my new project to the computer but it never finished. I left it over night and it was still stuck at 20% (or so) in the morning. Next I tried publishing to DVD which opens Windows DVD maker. Again it never finishes...it gets stuck anywhere from 1.2% to 68.4% with each try...though it has slowly increased in percentage with each try. 

I tried unchecking all of the filters under Tools->Options and actually got a DVD to burn but all of the .AVI videos were black. Which filters do I need to leave on for .AVI files to continue to work? I also replaced all music files from iTunes with WMA format music and am trying another burn. Now it's stuck again at 67.5% and I'm guessing it won't ever finish.

What do I do to get this thing published? I'm so bummed and frustrated...I have hours invested in this thing.

Thanks,
Evan's Mom
===================================
Sounds like your project is too complex...and
it's also possible that one or more of your source
files is not fully compatible with Movie Maker.
Sometimes it can help if you remove transitions.

Many formats are reportedly compatible with
Movie Maker but the most reliable choices are:

Photos - bmp
Video -   wmv or dv-avi
Music -   wmv, wma, wav

John Inzer - MS-MVP - Digital Media Experience
.......Volunteer J - MS-MVP......
.....This Is Not Tech Support....
***Proceed at your own risk***

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 9, 2020 Views 19,600 Applies to: