Windows Movie Maker: Cannot Import avi Video File; It Becomes Audio, but still avi.

I am trying to make a movie using Windows Vista (64 bit) Windows Movie Maker. I have a .avi video file that I wish to import (frame 640 by 480, 352 kbps bitrate, 30 frames/second, 60.3 megabytes). The file plays normally (audio and video) in Windows Media Player. However, when I import the file to Movie Maker, only the audio portion of the file comes through. In other words, when I put the imported file into the moviemaking timeline, I hear the clip but there is no picture. There are no error messages, that's just what happens.

When I view the properties on the imported file, the bitrate and file size are the same as that of the original, but under Source File: File Type it says Audio. The File Location under Source File is correct, and the file extension is still .avi.

Extra Information: The video file is actually a compilation of several clips run back to back, and saved as one .avi file. Also this compilation was done on a Macbook, though I'm not sure which kind. I think the program used was iMovie. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Other .avi clips import normally and work perfectly. This is the only one giving me trouble. Also, under Properties: General, for File Type, all clips except for this one read: Video Clip (.AVI). However this file which won't import properly reads: Video Clip (.avi). It is lowercase as opposed to uppercase; again I don't know if that matters or not.

Thank you very much, I appreciate any help at all; this is an important project to me.

Question Info

Last updated July 15, 2018 Views 19,865 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
I am trying to make a movie using Windows Vista (64 bit) Windows Movie Maker. I have a .avi video file that I wish to import (frame 640 by 480, 352 kbps bitrate, 30 frames/second, 60.3 megabytes). The file plays normally (audio and video) in Windows Media Player. However, when I import the file to Movie Maker, only the audio portion of the file comes through. In other words, when I put the imported file into the moviemaking timeline, I hear the clip but there is no picture. There are no error messages, that's just what happens.

When I view the properties on the imported file, the bitrate and file size are the same as that of the original, but under Source File: File Type it says Audio. The File Location under Source File is correct, and the file extension is still .avi.

Extra Information: The video file is actually a compilation of several clips run back to back, and saved as one .avi file. Also this compilation was done on a Macbook, though I'm not sure which kind. I think the program used was iMovie. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Other .avi clips import normally and work perfectly. This is the only one giving me trouble. Also, under Properties: General, for File Type, all clips except for this one read: Video Clip (.AVI). However this file which won't import properly reads: Video Clip (.avi). It is lowercase as opposed to uppercase; again I don't know if that matters or not.

Thank you very much, I appreciate any help at all; this is an important project to me.
=========================================
FWIW...just because WMP plays a file does not insure that it will
be compatible with Movie Maker.

There are many types of .avi files and some can be problematic.

Installing a codec package may clear this up for you but converting
the .avi to the .wmv format before importing into Movie Maker may
be the best idea.

The following freeware can do the conversion:

Format Factory
http://www.pcfreetime.com/

John Inzer - MS-MVP - Digital Media Experience
.......Volunteer J - MS-MVP......
.....This Is Not Tech Support....
***Proceed at your own risk***

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.