Windows media Player will not play CD's. Says unsupported format or codex.

original title: Windows media Player will not play CD's. Says unsupported format or codex. I did uninstall IMesh, anybody know what i need to reinstall?

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file. This is what it says, Also I can play on Itunes

Answer
Answer
Hi,
  1. What is the file format of the music files which you are unable to play?
  2. Do you have any Third party Codecs installed on the computer?

You might encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:
a) The file type is supported by the Player, but the file was compressed by using a codec that is not supported by the Player.
b) The file might have been encoded by using a codec that is not supported by Windows Media Player. If this is the case, Windows Media Player cannot play the file.
Let’s try these steps and check if it helps.
Method 1
You may check if the file format of the music files are supported by Windows media player using the below link.
Information about the Multimedia file types that Windows Media Player supports
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316992
Note: If the file type you tried to play is included in this table, the file might have been encoded by using a codec that is not supported by Windows Media Player. If this is the case, Windows Media Player cannot play the file.
Method 2
Additionally, you may also download & install the required codec to play the music files. You may want to read the FAQ’s on this topic. Refer the link.
Disclaimer: Using Third Party Software, including hardware drivers can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Third Party Software can be solved. Using Third Party Software is at your own risk.
Vinod Archak
Forum Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 13, 2024 Views 1,220 Applies to: