windows media player visualization resolution settings

Hello.

In windows XP, using wmp 9 or 10, i could set the full screen resolution for the most visualizations, including Battery pack. In Vista, and in wmp 11, the settings are still there, but only the "offscreen buffer size" dialog is working - whatever i set it a full screen size, it does not change when switching to full screen - the resolution remains the same low, max. 512x384 (which looks extremaly pixelized and ugly).

I expect an explanation from Microsoft employee or forum administratorm to either explain me how to i get my visualizations (not mine - the Microsoft OWN visualizations) working as they should, or if this is not possible, admit that Microsoft has made a complete ____ with this part of wmp 11.

Question Info

Last updated May 27, 2019 Views 17,642 Applies to:

Hi,
In Media player you dont have the option to change the resolution settings.
However you may try to change the pixel setting and verify if it changes the resolution.
To change the display ratio in Windows Media player follow the steps below:
1. Open Windows Media Player.
2. Press Alt key on the keyboard and click on Tools and click on Options.
3. Click on Devices tab and select Display in the list and click on Properties tab.
4. Change the Pixel aspect ratio you desire to use for the best view on your widescreen.
5. Click on Apply and Ok.

Restart the computer for changes to take effect and try to view the downloaded video to verify if it’s working fine.

Hope it works.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your answer.

What im telling is, that there is settings tab for changing resolution for the battery visualization (which is MS very own visualization that comes with wmp 11 and 12) - tools - plug-ins - options - battery - properties - full screen settings. But the point is that they do not work. They seem to be an empty option that does nothing. But if they shouldnt work then why are they there? If that is a bug, then Microsoft should fix it.
The same goes for WMP 12 on Windows 7 as well.

Sorry this didn't help.

Unbelievable! No answer from Microsoft.
I wonder if anyone from Windows  Meida Player development team reads this forum sometimes?

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I remember this really making me angry many years ago.  I believe the problem is how the newer versions of WMP handle going to full-screen.  The older versions would take complete control of the screen and even change the resolution of the monitor to the specified one in Battery's settings.  Nowadays, the player appears to use an overlay and simply stretches the currently playing visualization to fill the screen. I would love a way around this, as Strawberryaid is my all-time favorite visualization and is absolutely beautiful at higher resolutions.

Bumping for response!

Sorry this didn't help.

Bumping this. For God's sake microsoft. You make us pay $100+ for and operating system, and for some reason you lack the support for a simple function such as this? Why were previous versions of windows able to support this function? Unbelievable. At least have the courtesy to respond. If I don't get a response I'm switching to linux and recommending against your products to everybody I know. I'm tired of this crappy support.

Sorry this didn't help.

Also bumping.

This is bothering me. We need an answer.

MSFT dev team: If you don't know why it doesn't work -- say so. Silence isn't good enough.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I saw you questions and frustrations so I wanted to make sure everyone is seeking answers at the correct locations.

First off, the only people here that are actually Microsoft employees are the ones you see with the word MICROSOFT in Blue blocked letters under their names. This is a community of Windows users trying to help each other with basic issues.

So no, there is usually no one from WMP Dev team floating around in here, however, allow me to point you guys to sites that WILL have more specific technical and developmental knowledge of WMP.

The first is the Windows Experts Community. Developers do actually check that forum and reply and help there on complex issues.

Next would be the TechNet IT PRO forums. As the name implies, that is the place professionals go to answer/ask questions.

If you are a developer, the MSDN forum can provide insights to developing  applications and tools. But I don't think that one applies here.

Also, don't forget you can still get in touch with Actual MS tech support reps:

MS Support Options

http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?RDPATH=dm;en-us;select&target=assistance

hope this helps,

Eddie b

The answer is in the details!

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Has anyone ever figured this out? This has been a problem for years now.

Sorry this didn't help.

Here's what I found after looking into it, and it's not great. If you go to plug ins tab under the options, you can set the display size of the battery visualization to whatever your monitor is. however, this only speeds up the visualization, and does not fix the quality that makes it look like it is being stretched.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

i agree 

Sorry this didn't help.