Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file. You might encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:
#1 - The file type is supported by the Player, but the file was compressed by using a codec that is not supported by the Player.
#2 - The file might have been encoded by using a codec that is not supported by Windows Media Player. If this is the case, Windows Media Player cannot play the file.
1.a) Try playing the file on a different computer and check if the file is not corrupt.
1.b) Try copying the file to the computer and check if you are able to play the file.
2. In some cases people have run into this error when the wrong audio device is selected in WMP. Tools | Options | Devices | Speakers | Properties will allow you to change it.
3. It’s a good idea to update and/or reinstall your Sound Card and Video Card drivers. Along with DirectX when you are getting this error.
4. To determine what codec was used with a specific file, play the file in the Player, if possible. While the file is playing, right-click the file in the library, and then click Properties. On the File tab, look at the Audio codec and Video codec
5. Download and install Codecs by go to the PLAYER tab and check. Connect to the Internet and Download Codecs Automatically from the player
6. Configure protocol settings
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the
In the Streaming protocols area, select all the protocol check boxes.
When connecting to a server running Windows Media Services, Windows Media Player attempts to use all the selected protocols.
Let me know if that work. Good luck!
Hope this information is helpful.
Thanks and Regards,
[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
353 people were helped by this reply
Did this solve your problem?
Sorry this didn't help.
Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.
How satisfied are you with this reply?
Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.