Windows Media Player 11 Rip Error - Vista Home Premium

I'm having the same problems these other people are having with my media player.  This problem didn't start until I installed some windows updates.  I updated to service pack 2 and Internet Explorer 8.  I tried system restores but my oldest restore point was only a week prior to my problem and didn't help at all. 

Here's my problem exactly how it happens:

I put a cd in to rip.  It starts ripping automatically the first track automatically.  On all remaining tracks it says "pending" under the rip status.  After ripping about 20% of the track it turns from "ripping" to "error".  Then all of the other tracks go from "pending" to "error" and ejects the cd.  I have tried every combination of bitrate and format file type and nothing seems to work.  Also on some of your answers on this forum your telling us to go to the Windows VISTA Media Player 11 download page to download it over, but when I click on the link http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/AllDownloads.aspx it DOES NOT give you the option of Windows Media Player 11 for VISTA, just for XP and earlier windows platforms.  I even tried downloading the one for XP and I got an error back saying something along the lines that I have a newer version and can't use that one.  Can anyone solve this for me?  I was able to rip cd's thru 8/31/09, since those windows updates seems to have screwed something up.  Are there any bugs in these new updates causing compatability problems?  Help!

Don 

Question Info

Last updated February 16, 2019 Views 5,919 Applies to:
Answer
Hello SavatageFan, welcome.

Out of curiousity, have you tried ripping the content to another computer? Perhaps the disk itself is corrupt.
Another option you could try is to manually copy the CD's content to the harddrive and play it back locally. This would narrow down the possible causes.

Also, what happens if you try to just play the content? Does it ever present any error messages or skip?

Let us know,

Thanks!
Ryan Thieman
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.