Vista/No Sound/Failed to play test tone

i have recently upgraded to vista and found out that i have no sound. the driver (vista version) for my on board sound card seems fine but when i try to play a song on windows Media Player, i get a msg of  "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help."  and i also get a "Failed to play test tone" msg when i try to test my speakers. i thought it was because of vista dosent support my crappy on board sound card so i got a new one.

i have just installed a Creative Audigy SE and have downloaded the driver for windows vista. again, in device manager, everything seems fine, the driver is fine, the device is working. but i still get the "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help." when i try to play a song, as well as the "failed to play test tone" msg when i click on the Test button. please help me, i am tired of using a computer with no sound.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 84,982 Applies to:
Answer
This forum probably isn't going to be so helpful with the no-sound issues.  My usual suggestions are to fiddle with drivers and so forth, but I think you're way beyond that.  You might want to try the pro audio forum (http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=351&SiteID=1), even though that technically isn't the right place for audio support issues either...
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights. -- Becky Weiss

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

the solution is at the end of this thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2155198&SiteID=1

basically, vista is...

d.thorek

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.