Sound from built-in laptop speakers, while headphones are plugged in.

So my issue is that when I plug my headphones into my computer, instead of just hearing my music/sound out of the headphones, I am also able to hear music/sounds out of my laptop speakers as if headphones aren't even plugged in. So, in essence, I'm just doubling the sounds that I hear, because the music/sounds can be heard in the headphones while simultaneously being heard from the laptop speakers. Which rather defeats the purpose of the headphones. I've tried updates, but nothing seems to work. How can I fix this?

Answer
Answer

Hi Pencegc,

This may happen due to many reasons like the Jack not inserted properly or Sound card drivers not updated, if the default device is not set properly.

Step 1

Check if the Head phone jack is properly inserted the socket. Try to remove it and reinsert it firmly into the socket and check if you can hear sound only through head phones.

Step 2

Run the Audio troubleshooter built in Windows 7 and check if it can find any issue and fix it. Access the link below and follow the steps to run Audio troubleshooter in Windows 7.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Playing-Audio-troubleshooter

Step 3

Also make sure that the default sound device is set correctly for the sound device that you are using. To set the default device, follow these steps:

1. Click and type Sound in the Start Search box.
  2. Click Sound in the search results at the top of the Start menu.
  3. Click the Playback tab. Notice the check mark next to the default device. For most users, the default device is Speakers. Make sure that your audio settings are configured as expected. Follow these steps:

a.  On the Playback tab, select the playback device, click Properties, click the Advanced tab, and make sure that the Default Format is set to the value that you expect. When you finish, close this window to return to the previous window.

b.  On the Playback tab, select the playback device, click Configure, and then make sure the configurations are set correctly.

If the sound settings are set correctly, you are using speakers as the sound device, and your speakers are already set as the default device, go to method 5 now.

1. Select the sound device that you want as the default sound device, and then click Set Default.
  2. Click OK to save your settings and to close the Sound dialog box.

Determine whether you can now hear sound. If you can hear sound, the issue is resolved.

Step 4

Access the laptop manufacturer’s website and download the latest sound drivers, install it and check if it works fine and if it switches to headphones automatically from speaker when it’s plugged in.

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.

Thanks and Regards,

Srinivas R

Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 16, 2020 Views 69,455 Applies to: