Restricted Content on Live TV played on Windows Media Center

Restricted Content – Restrictions set by the broadcaster or the originator of the content prohibit playback of this program on this computer

I need a fix for this, most other forums are mostly for already recorded programs and/or premium channels

I get this watching TNT, FX, History Channel, VH1 etc on live tv?
i am running vista home premium sp1, with comcast as my cable provider...
i have read that it has do with rollup2, but all the fixes are for xp

it would be nice to watch live tv on channels that aren't blocked!

any help would be great :)

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 1,505 Applies to:
Hi Elvishkarma,

• Was this working before?
• Was there any changes done prior to this issue?

You may follow the steps provided in the article “Error message when you try to watch live TV in Windows Media Center on a Windows Vista-based computer: "Restricted Content - Display Driver”” http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927084

If the above article does not help, then reset the DRM (Digital Rights Management) on the computer. To do so, follow the steps to reset DRM in the article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929642 (ignore the title).

Diana
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Diana D,

I have the same problem. I can't watch any TV program on Windows Media Center for more than a few minutes before getting "restricted content-restrictions set by broadcaster or originator ot the content prohibit playback of the program on this computer" message. I have several series set up for recording and they all are blue screen with this message as well. Windows Media Center had worked well until recently. The first problem developed after trying record a program on sundance channel. Then shortly after it wouldn't record any program, and now I can't watch any live tv.
    I have tried google searches before today and those were not successfull. I found this thread today and have tried both solutions you suggested.
The first resulted in a message that said that solution did not apply to my system. I was able perform the second solution but after finishing and restarting with new drm folder I still have the same problem. I have automatic updates on, I have Windows vista ultimate 64 bit service pack 2.
    Can you help? This is extremely frustrating!

Jim LeBlanc

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same blue screen with restricted content message also. For me, this problem occurred after I upgraded my processor from a Core2 duo E6300 to a quad core Q9400. All the things I had recorded from HBO were unwatchable because of the prohibited / restricted content message, and all kinds of live programs were being blocked also. The way I was able to fix the problem was to reinstall my bios and do a clean install of Windows Vista.  I have Home Premium 32 bit. Since I reinstalled the OS, I also decided to use Windows Media 2008 Tv Pack.  There is excellent instructions from the green button website. Sorry for the bad news about starting from scratch, but everything is has been back to normal for about 3 weeks now.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I have the exact same issue on my Windows 7 x64 Media Center. Is there a patch for this under Win 7 as well.

It is really annoying.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am using XP and have been using Media Center for years.  This just started happening.  Is there an update I missed?  Or is it Comcast?  I need to get my TV working again please?

Sorry this didn't help.

Diana, I am running A HP with AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core 4200 with 2048 MB of RAM and 300 GB hard drive.  XP for operatiing system.  I have used Media Center with a Comcast non digital non HD converter box for years.  I just recently started blocking most channels.  I was going to set it up as a DVR and buy a new desktop but if I cannot resolve this it would not work.  Is the fix's above for XP also?  Is there anything else to try first?  Please let me know.

Dave Ottaviani

Sorry this didn't help.

Anyone looking at this in the future, if you replace your processor your computer will think you are someone else and it may break DRM.

Sorry this didn't help.