Moving songs within Windows Media library.

This question is in regards to Windows Media Player 11. I just recently started downloading songs from off of the internet. Unforutnately sometimes songs from the same artist will be shown in my library under more than one name. For example one song may be placed in the library under the artist's correct name, the next song may be under a slightly different name (because of a spelling error) and other songs may be under Unknown Artists or Others for, to me at least, for unknown reasons. I would like to know if there is a way, other than creating a Playlist, of moving these songs from under different names into one common name (preferrably the artist's correct name). Right now sometimes I have to go searching the library to find where the songs from the same artists were placed in the library.
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Unfortunately playlist is the only way that will help you organize the music and media files on Windows media player. Since you have different track names for the same artist, the files end up showing as different entities. Auto playlist is an option that you should be looking for.

Auto playlists are particularly powerful because they let the Player help you find, organize, and play just the music that you want to listen to, according to criteria that you set. The contents of an auto playlist update dynamically when you make changes to your library. For example, if you add a number of songs to your library, you don't have to add each song to an auto playlist manually; the Player adds them to the appropriate auto playlists automatically by using each auto playlist's unique criteria. It's like having an assistant who knows what you like and takes care of the details so you can focus on listening to good music. To create an auotplaylist follow the steps mentioned below.

1.Click the arrow below the Library tab, and then click Create Auto Playlist.

2.In Auto Playlist name, type a name for the playlist.

3.Select the criteria that you want to use for the auto playlist. The following  steps illustrate how you would set up an auto playlist that contains songs that you have rated to 4 or 5 stars:

4.In the criteria list, verify that Music in my library is displayed.

5.Click Click here to add criteria, and then click My Rating.

The Player automatically adds Is At Least 4 Stars. When you play this playlist, any music that you have rated to be 4 stars or higher will be included in the  playlist.

6.To remove a criterion, click it, and then click Remove.

Create or change an auto playlist in Windows Media Player
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Create-or-change-an-auto-playlist-in-Windows-Media-Player

Let us know if this helps

Regards
Sreekanth.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2024 Views 5,599 Applies to: