"Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2"

I get htis error when I try to play a video that I downloaded:

":Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

The website where I downloaded the video states, "NOTE:  "Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2" codec (known as "MS-MPEG4v2" by QuickTime) is required to view this AVI format file.  You may need to update your video software for proper playback."

I went to webhelp and it said to download an update but when I downloaded the update that showed the MPEG4 it was for WinXP and did not install. I can't find an update with MPEG4 for Vista.

Do you have any advise?

Question Info

Last updated March 12, 2019 Views 5,313 Applies to:

I get htis error when I try to play a video that I downloaded:

":Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

The website where I downloaded the video states, "NOTE:  "Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2" codec (known as "MS-MPEG4v2" by QuickTime) is required to view this AVI format file.  You may need to update your video software for proper playback."

I went to webhelp and it said to download an update but when I downloaded the update that showed the MPEG4 it was for WinXP and did not install. I can't find an update with MPEG4 for Vista.

Do you have any advise?

==========================================
Maybe the following freeware Media Player Classic can play your file.

Media Player Classic
http://www.filehippo.com/download_media_player_classic/
(just unzip it and run it...no installation required)

John Inzer - MS-MVP - Digital Media Experience - Notice_This is not tech support_I am a volunteer - Solutions that work for me may not work for you - ***Proceed at your own risk***
.......Volunteer J - MS-MVP......
.....This Is Not Tech Support....
***Proceed at your own risk***

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.